SEVEN.

originally published september 3, 2022

pairing: knight!steven grant x fem!princess!reader x knight!marc spector x knight!jake lockley

series summary: you were a princess who would rather be anything but a royal; he was the knight her father forced her to marry—a true match made in hell if there ever was one. but, as the wedding inches closer and closer, it seems that, perhaps, your father had finally done something right by you.

chapter summary: steven wants to make things right with you, but his chance is stolen from him.

word count: 2,464

warnings?: kidnapping, not proofread

Jake would say that he was the one who fell in love with the princess first

Jake would say that he was the one who fell in love with the princess first. He'd speak wistfully, recall seeing you walk the halls of the palace, offering kind smiles and sweet words to everyone you met. It was impossible not to love you. But, Jake was completely, and utterly, wrong—about falling in love first, that is. Steven did not remember much of his childhood. He didn't really want to, either, if he was being honest. Some memories, though, had stuck with him so clearly. He remembered being in school, learning about the royal family and about you. He remembered watching the news about Benjamin's jubilee and seeing you for the first time. He remembered, one time, you and Elaine had come to his school on royal business and, when he was chosen as one of the students to have lunch with you and Elaine, you spoke to him nearly the whole time. He remembered getting older, becoming a Moon Knight, and you attending the ceremony where he was officially Knighted, smiling brightly at him. Jake was right—it was impossible not to love you. But he was not the one who loved you first.

And that why Steven's heart sank when he heard your whispered words, that losing them would be the worst heartache you'd suffered. Between family lies and assassination attempts, losing them would be the worst? He could hardly believe that you loved them as strongly as they loved you, and yet you were so sure they would leave. What ever had given you an idea quite like that?

He wanted to take control of the body, to pull you close, to tell you that neither he nor Jake nor Marc had any intentions of leaving you. But you thought he was asleep, and you had confessed something you didn't think he would hear. Would it be some sort of breach of trust to confront you with it? As he laid there, he decided that he wouldn't, but...But he would make sure you understood that, and Jake, and Marc, were all in. That they wouldn't leave you unless you told them to. So, he let Jake hold you, deciding that, in the morning, he would make sure you knew how appreciated you were.

But you were gone when he woke up.

Panic settled in his chest as he looked around the room, seeing no immediate sign of your presence. But, as he stumbled out of bed, he noticed that your favorite pair of shoes were gone. That there were a couple more empty hangers. That, when he glanced in the mirror, there was a lipstick stain on his temple. That a near-finished cup of tea sat on the nightstand. That, next to the cup, there was a note that read, "I'm so sorry to leave you without a goodbye. My questioning was moved up, so I've gone to meet with Matt and Foggy. I'll be back by lunch. ♡".