Chapter 7: Hypothesis and Realizations

The following seven months were difficult and uneasy, to say the least. During this time, Ferikan had been properly introduced and inducted into the secret crew researching the Infinites. She was officially repositioned under Garjian's team. As far as the Order was concerned, one of their youngest and most talented field agents was working in one of the dullest and long-forgotten corners of the universe. It was common for ambitious field agents to scavenge for extra promotion credits. So it seemed to be with Ferikan, and no one batted an eye at the transfer simply because they all knew how much Ferikan idolised Garjian; Berson made sure of that.

Ferikan eventually met with Executive Kalia face-to-face as well. Kalia and Berson ensured Ferikan knew all the risks and dangers that came with her agreement to work on the project. Ferikan did it all except inscribing her name in blood before Berson was convinced that she understood and consented to everything she had signed up for. They briefly gave her an overview of all the fail-safes protecting the data they collected and the overall plan for eventually going public with all the information they gathered before dispatching Ferikan to continue her fieldwork with Garjian.

Garjian and Ferikan are currently standing in a hospital. A place where smaller, weaker, and shorter bridges constantly form and collapse as souls traverse the Infinite dimension. Over the last few months, Ferikan and Garjian have mastered their bridge jumping skills, extending the time they can peek into the Infinites' world, recording as much as they can in their search for answers.

A few moments ago, they were both standing in the delivery room. Utter shock and disbelief, with a hint of grossed out and about to hurl, were displayed on Ferikan's face. Garjian was laughing, mocking Ferikan for how she reacted as Tina gave birth naturally to a healthy and beautiful baby girl.

Now they are both inside the maternity ward. Tina is lying in bed, surrounded by close friends and family. Peter's parents are also present, standing by her bedside. Tina is holding her child gently in her arms, and a smile she had not formed during the seven previous months has finally appeared on her face once again. It reminded Ferikan of the memory she recorded when she first linked with Tina many months ago.

"What will you call her?" Tina's mother asked.

"Petra, after her father," Tina stroked Petra's cheek with her index finger.

"That's sweet," Ferikan said to Garjian.

"It's also very fitting, considering who the newborn Infinite is," Garjian replied, and before Ferikan could inquire, Garjian explained, "Check the soul's base energy spectrum. Can you recognise the newborn by its markers?"

"It's Peter!"

"A form of Peter, to be correct, who will now grow and become Petra. Infinites are reborn countless times, and even though the core is always the same and recognisable, they never evolve into the same person twice."

Petra opened her eyes, grabbed her mother's finger and squeezed with all the strength a newborn could muster.

Ferikan felt as if space dilated, pulled and stretched away from her, and everyone else fell out of her field of vision except Tina and Petra.

No one said a thing, and not a single word was spoken, but there was clear communication between Petra and Tina.

A message Ferikan intercepted.

I love you. Don't ever let go.

At that moment, Tina knew this was where she should be, where she wanted to be, for all the years she had left on this earth.