1 | Hers.

#JellybeanWP

Chapter 1

Hers.

YONI IS COMPLETELY aware that the saying 'things never change' only rings true half the time; change is inevitable. Kaya nga some things never change, hindi all things 'di ba? But that saying comes with the fact that there are certain universal truths we must live with. Some things will simply never change in a person's lifetime. May mga bagay na totoo mula pagkabuhay at hanggang sa huling paghinga. We can safely bet that for as long as we live in this lifetime, the sun will always be hung up in the sky, matter has states, humans breathe air... and that Yoni will never eat mayonnaise.

Yes, especially the last.

The saying 'things never change' is only a hundred percent true when talking about Yoni Salazar. Because when it comes to her, everything stays the same—like a leopard that can't change its spots.

There are only two things on the Coco menu that Yoni ever considers getting: Two Ladies Salty Cream Milk Tea with additional pudding or Ceylon Black Tea with pudding and black pearls. Wala na siyang iniinom na iba. She has never, and will never, digest anything other than what she has eaten in the past ten years from any restaurant or food stand menu.

It's a universal truth! Along with her obvious desperation to have a semblance of familiarity in her life after moving six times in the past two decades. That's six different cities, six different schools, two different countries, and one Yoni. Nothing in her life feels permanent, so what's so bad about keeping food choices the same?

"Two Ladies Salty Cream," sambit ng kaibigan niyang si Benisse. "For my Yoni," she beams.

"Thank you, Ben." Yoni smiles against her words, dragging out the letters in Benisse's name. She beams at the raven girl.

"And—whatever this is—for you." Ben grimaces, handing the weird-looking tea concoction to Liz.

"Mango Green Tea. Ang arte, 'kala mo napaka-weird," Liz clarifies, rolling her eyes at the obvious jab against her choice of drink.

"E, malay ko ba. Starbucks incident, remember?" Ben pokes the straw through her drink.

"Gago," Yoni chimes in, remembering the dark memory. "That was so gross."

Liz groans, nearly pulling her hair out. She has been attempting to defend herself from the infamous Starbucks incident since it happened a week ago. Pero malabong palalampasin lang nang basta-basta 'yon nila Yoni.

"Sabi ko nga 'di ba, I saw a secret menu thing on Pinterest. Malay ko ba na magiging lasang gamot pala," she huffs.

"You have bad taste period," balik ni Ben. Yoni hums in agreement as she sips on her regular choice of drink.

"Hoy, ikaw, Yoni. 'Wag ka nga. Hindi mo naman tinikman." Liz outs her blatantly.

Yoni shakes her head. She didn't have to try it, really. The gagging look on Ben, Austen, and Liv's faces was enough to make Yoni come to a conclusion. Malala naman kasi talaga! Their faces didn't sit pretty. Kadiri raw tapos amoy gamot, tila kung ano-anong pinaghalo-halo na lasa.

She decides this is another universal truth, that she will never try what Liz orders (or anyone for that matter, but most especially Liz). 'Pag dating sa pagkain magkaibang-magkaiba ang dalawang magkaibigan. Liz has adventurous tastes compared to the 'same old, same old' mantra of Yoni's.

Yoni chuckles. "Whatever, wala ka na talagang credibility."

She receives a gracious middle finger from Liz.