Chapter 43

(Manik flashback) ...

"You should run...these people will kill you ...
Run as far as you can ...
Please live" a woman with red hair like fire ... Held small Manik hands ...and kissed it for the last time ...before pushing him away ...

Manik cried as he started running.

--------

Manik's father died in a war. His mother was 4 months pregnant when that happened.

Manik's father is a fire magic user. He never wanted to use his powers so he lived as a normal man all his life but accidentally one day everyone found out about it and he was forced to join lines to make use of that power for his country. She became extremely depressed and walked to the well in a daze and jumped into it to die. Just when she was unable to breathe, she came to her senses that she have a child inside her and wanted to protect him. She wanted to scream for anyone to help her, but her voice got stuck.

She wanted to live.

Please, someone, save me. I will do anything so please" She lost consciousness as she started drowning.

----

She woke up the next day and saw that she was lying on her bed in the same clothes she wore the day before. There was no sign of anything happening except for the news that her husband died. She thought it was all a dream and soon forgot about it.

While she is 6 months into labor. A small festival happened in her village. The dragon night's festival.

Her village, in which people solely depend on agriculture, worships the land and sea. The sea dragon, which was the symbol of their village, gives lots of meat and also a human sacrifice for it to produce good results for the coming year too.

Mostly they sacrifice small girls. They tie them to a rock and push them into the water, not allowing them to come out. The child suffers as she was unable to move or breathe and loses her life. They believe that the dragon god eats her and brings good fortune to their village.

Manik's mother always thinks it was a crime and every year she opposes them and tries to stop them, but never one listened to her. This year too, just as always, they decided to sacrifice a small girl. As always she opposed it but no one listened to her. She held her womb and walked away from there, listening to the screams of the little child asking for help.

She ran to her house and locked all her doors and sat down, touching her womb.

"Please don't be born as a girl" She mumbled, again and again, crying.

--------

A few more months passed, and she gave birth to a healthy child. A boy. She was so happy to hear that child is a boy, but---

Manik was born on a new moon night in a small village full of belief in godly powers and destructive, black magic powers. He has deep red eyes, which no one has ever had in his village. Not even his father or mother.

His mother panicked as she saw him for the first time, while also couldn't control her happiness of holding him for the first time in her arms.

"Manik" She named him.

She closed his eyes while bringing him to the village.

The villagers who believe in demons, who were said to have red eyes for generations, will assume that Manik was a monster and tried to kill him if they know.

She struggled a lot with hiding Manik at home and raising him. She never let him go out while growing up. He became curious about what it is like past his home gates, but couldn't dare oppose his mother's words.

But one day he couldn't control his excitement after hearing some child's whispers outside his gate about the sea.

He wanted to see it too. He was very anxious to decide if he wants to go out or not, but finally decided --

"It's only for a few minutes. I will come back before mom knows it"

He was 9 years old at that time. He jumped over his fence and ran at the back of the children. He finally reached the sea.

He got mesmerized by the sea. He never saw something so beautiful before.

"Why did mom never send me out? This place looks so beautiful. I wish I could show it to mom"

After spending an hour sitting on the sea far away from the kids being afraid.

He finally decided to go back home. He knew that his mom will scold him. He started running to quickly reach home, and accidentally he bumped into someone and fell down. He quickly got up and ---

"I am sorry sir" He dashed off quickly but--

"Red eyes?"

He is the son of the old chief of the village.

Manik quickly reached home, and he saw his mother sitting at the entrance crying.

"Mom, why are you crying?" He asked going near her.

Her life came back after she saw him safe.

She hugged him tightly.

"Where were you?"

"I went to see sea mom," He said excitedly... He tried to explain what it looks like, but she got so furious that she slapped him across the face hard. This is the first time she ever hit him.

"Didn't I tell you to not leave the house?" She screamed.

Manik got scared. He flinched as she moved. He stepped back, crying.

"I am sorry" He mumbled.

"Did anyone see you?" She asked anxiously

"N...no"

"Think carefully" She held his shoulders hard and her look is scaring Manik.

"I just bumped into someone, but I quickly got up and ran here"

"D...did he see your eyes?" Her voice is stuttering.

He remained silent

"TELL ME," She asked angrily.

"I don't know mother. Please don't be angry at me" He cried.

"We can't take any risk. We are leaving" She spoke and ran inside her house.

"Where mom?"

She ignored him and started packing everything necessary, and some cash left by her husband.

She packed everything and walked outside. She got shocked to see the whole village standing in front of her house.

"Where is that demon?" They screamed.

"What demon?" She spoke nervously.

"We saw a child with red eyes like a demon. We saw every child in this town, and the only one left is your child. So tell us where did you hide him?" They asked angrily.

"I have a child, but he doesn't have red eyes"

"Mom?" Manik mumbled.

"There he is!"