Uncertainty

1985

Paxton was enjoying his new life on the Island of Sodor. The responsibility of being a new station pilot made him feel very honoured and worked his hardest in shunting the coaches where they needed to be. The engines were pleased to have an engine reliable enough to handle the trains without fuss and the Little Western engines were glad not to have to share shunting duties.

However, the harbour was getting busier, and Porter, Little Owl, and Puffa were getting busier by the day. So much so that the yards were getting more chaotic and messier. Paxton would have to help shunt the trucks there from time to time which made him stretch thin between the yards and the station. By the end of a busy week, Paxton returned to the sheds exhausted.

"Goodness Paxton," said Alice worriedly, "you look like you've been working hard."

"Have I not?" said Paxton innocently, "because if I haven't—!"

"You have been," chortled Gordon, his smile soon faded, "although, you've been working too hard. I think you need some proper rest and some help!"

"I agree," said Murdoch, "the yards are still a mess, even with Paxton's help. It's clear another engine is needed to run the yards there."

"If you'd like Murdoch, you could do my job for me!"

All the engines looked to see Stephen Hatt walk into the sheds. Murdoch blushed. "No sir, I prefer my goods thank you."

Stephen chuckled lightly, then looked back at the other engines. "It was great news that I bring that I have been able to get two 08 shunters for the railway," he said, "they will help with the workload here at Tidmouth. I hope you make them feel welcome."

"Two 08 shunters?" said Gordon, "having three engines of the same class is a bit of us."

"Beg pardon sir," came a voice, Stephen looked to one of the births to see Duck looking rather uncomfortable. "Class 08s did you say?"

A kind, warm smile came to Stephen's face. "Indeed I did Duck," he confirmed, "do not fret, I'm sure they'll be kind. Besides, I have ordered them for a loan and trialed them here at the yards to see how they handle things. If things go wrong, I will send them away."

Duck smiled, feeling a little reassured, but Paxton looked over a little puzzled. But said nothing about it as the other engines began to start conversations around the sheds as Stephen walked off.

***

The next morning, most of the engines were gone to work, Henry hadn't come back yet from taking the Flying Kipper and  Gordon had just left for the express, the only engines in the sheds were Alice, Bear, Murdoch, and Paxton. Then, they heard two horns come from outside of the sheds, the engines all looked to see two class 08 shunters arriving in the sheds. Stopping before the turntable, one was smirking in interest and the other looked uncomfortable but was looking around the sheds in curiosity.

Stephen then got out of the cab and moved to the engines. "Here are the diesels," he said, "Paxton, I want you to teach them how we do things. I hope you all make them feel welcome."

He then left as quickly as he showed up, leaving the diesels with the North Western engines. One of the diesels looked around and smirked mischievously at the engines. "How do you do lads?" he said aggressively, "remember me?"

All the engines in the shed looked at the diesel with puzzled looks. "Be specific," Murdoch grunted, "have we met?"

"None of you have met me," continued the diesel, "but I think you'll be familiar with the name, Diesel?"