Chapter 5

(September 23rd 1994)

    At Central Perk everyone but Rachel is there and Vivian and Monica are sitting on the couch as Phoebe is sitting on the floor and Monica had just told everyone about her Paul the wine guy issue. Joey is sitting on the arm of the couch.

Joey: Of course it was a line!.

Monica: Why?!. Why?. Why-why would anybody do something like that?.

Ross: I assume we're looking for an answer more sophisticated than to get you into bed.

Monica: I hate men!. I hate men!.

Phoebe: Oh no don't hate you don't want to put that out into the universe.

Monica: Is it me?. Is it like I have some sort of beacon that only dogs and men with severe emotional problems can hear?.

Viv: All right Mon give me one of your feet.

Monica puts her legs up on the table and Vivian starts massaging her left leg and Phoebe massages the other.

Monica: I just thought he was nice y'know?.

Joey: "Laughing". I can't believe you didn't know it was a line!.

Monica pushes him off of the sofa as Rachel enters with a shopping bag.

Rachel: Guess what?.

Ross: You got a job?.

Rachel: Are you kidding?. I'm trained for nothing!. I was laughed out of twelve interviews today.

Chandler: And yet you're surprisingly upbeat.

Rachel: "Taking box out". You would be too if you found John and David boots on sale fifty percent off!.

Chandler: "Sarcastically". Oh how well you know me...

Rachel: "Holding up boot". They're my new I don't need a job. I don't need my parents. I've got great boots-boots!.

Monica: How'd you pay for them?.

Rachel: Uh credit card.

Viv: And who pays for that?.

Rachel: Um...my...father.

Rachel walks to get Coffee and Vivian goes up to her.

Viv: Rach the offer from this morning still stands. If you don't got a job by tomorrow...take it. I already talked to my boss Terry and manager Gunther. They are on board.

Rachel: Thanks.

*Time Lapse*

At Monica, Vivian and Rachel's everyone is sitting around the kitchen table. Rachel's credit cards are spread out on the table.

Rachel: Oh God come on you guys is this really necessary?. I mean I can stop charging anytime I want.

Monica: "Putting sissors on table". C'mon you can't live off your parents your whole life.

Rachel: I know that. That's why I was getting married.

Phoebe: Give her a break it's hard being on your own for the first time.

Rachel: Thank you.

Phoebe: You're welcome...I remember when I first came to this city. I was fourteen. My mom had just killed herself and my step dad was back in prison and I got here and I didn't know anybody. And I ended up living with this albino guy who was like cleaning windshields outside port authority and then he killed himself and then I found aromatherapy. So believe me I know exactly how you feel. "Get's up".