【Chapter 12】

Rita left early in the morning to begin her search for any information about the arrow in Southern France.

We agreed that she would be in touch with us every few days to give us an update on her search and we would give her any updates on our end.

Later that day, Polnareff left to go and run some errands. I had offered to help him out and he said that he'd be okay on his own and wouldn't be long.

That was late morning, and now it was getting close to the evening.

I sat in the lounge watching the clock and with every second that went by, the more I started to feel worried about the Frenchman. What if he ran into some trouble?

As I continued to watch the clock, Scarlet Phantom materialised next to me on the couch.

"Y'know, if you're so worried about him, why don't we go and look for him? We can track him down like we did in Egypt, and we'd be able to find out if he's in any trouble," the Stand suggested.

"I guess it's better than sitting around here waiting for him." I stood up and left the lounge with Scarlet Phantom following me.

I remembered that Polnareff had said he had left a spare key for me in case I wanted to go out anywhere. I picked up the spare key from the key cabinet and we both set off to go and find Polnareff.

We had been walking through the streets of Paris, following Polnareff's trail, for around half an hour before coming to a stop in front of a cemetery.

"What would he be doing here in a place like this?" Scarlet Phantom asked.

I remembered the photograph in the hallway of Polnareff and Sherry, and I sighed softly. "I think I know why he'd be here. C'mon, let's go."

Scarlet Phantom nodded in agreement and we followed Polnareff's trail into the cemetery.

It didn't take long to find Polnareff standing in front of a grave. I stayed back a little and watched him in silence before looking at Scarlet Phantom.

She must have noticed that I was going to go over to him, so she de-materialised to let me see Polnareff alone. Once she was gone, I took a deep breath and made my way over to the Frenchman.

As soon as I was near him, he glanced over his shoulder at me. Before he could ask why I was here and how I managed to find him, I said, "You were gone quite a while, and I was worried you were in trouble, so Scarlet Phantom and I came looking for you."

"Was I really gone that long?" He asked as he looked back down at the grave. "Sorry, when I'm here, I tend to lose track of time."

I gave the Frenchman a sympathetic smile and went to stand next to him. I looked down at the gravestone and read the words 'Sherry Polnareff' engraved in the stone.

"It's been a while since I last came here," Polnareff said. "To be honest, this wouldn't have been how I wanted you to meet her. I know I said this often to you on the journey, but she really would have loved you."

I placed a hand on his back and said, "She seemed like a really nice person from what you told me."

"I never got to tell you this, but do you remember when I found Avdol on that island? Well... There was someone else there as well. It was Sherry."

I looked at the Frenchman with a confused look. "How was that even possible?"

"I had encountered a Stand, and he said he would grant me 3 wishes. One of the wishes was to bring Sherry back. I should have known it was too good to be true."