7: Young Soul

'Hello,

Good evening. I believe that you're in good health. I don't know why I'm writing this to you but I feel like I should make it known to you. You might have noticed and chose to ignore it, Mujaheed. Or maybe you might have not noticed it at all, but I like you. I know I'm too young to say this, that's if you can call a 19 years old lady young, but whatever it is, I really like you. You might be against this because of the financial difference between us, but please don't let this come as a barrier between us. I don't know how it will happen or how I will be able to convince my mother about you, but I will do everything it takes to make sure you're mine. Please don't ignore this letter like you've always ignored all the signs I've sent your way. I'll be waiting for a response from you. Thank you.

Asma'u Kamal Sardauna.'

He chuckled softly and shook his head, he had noticed, she needn't to point it out in a letter like this. What did she think she was doing? If not for the financial difference between them, he knew the age gap might not be a problem for her because for a 19 years old lady in Arewa, a 27years old man was the perfect match for her. But this wasn't going to happen, he could hardly remember her facial features if he would be asked. He just took her as the daughter of the man he worked for and nothing else.

And right now, Mujaheed wished he could back out from the promise he made to Nana. Because since the day she brought this letter to him, he hadn't brought it out until today. Before he began to read it, he thought it was a threat from Fareeda and nothing else, but seeing this, he had never thought Asma'u could go out of her way and write him a letter telling him she liked him. Despite all the way he ignored her signs, he once told her straight forward that she should stop giving things to Nana to bring to him.

He folded the letter and placed it in his bedside drawer before he stood up, he knew in any minute Nana would come banging at his door that they were ready to leave. How would he back out? Should he tell her he was sick or what? Because if he lied about being sick, Ahaji will make sure he was taken to the hospital, and hospitals were among the things he hated in his life. He hated being with people, he hated going out, he hated everything that will have him involved with more than two people. And among those two people, one should be Nana and the other can be anyone.

The knock came, and when he looked at the wrist watch in his hand, it was a few minuets pas 4 in the evening. Nana hardly ever did something late, unless it was time to go to school. He perched his cap on his head and walked to open the door for her, "Nana, what is it?"

Her mouth nearly dropped down and she giggled, "Ya Fareeda ought to see the way you look, Ya Allah!" She exclaimed and he came out of the chamber, locked it while he laughed at her.

"You're incorrigible, Nana. I've told you time without number that unless you have a death wish, you should stop speaking to Fareeda about me, didn't I?" He laughed when she stood in front of him with her hand supporting her chin as she looked at him from head to toe.

"Are you sure you're going out because of me or because of something else? Ya Mujaheed, you've never looked this good!" She exclaimed again and he moved forward to plant a hard knock on the crown of her head when she dodged it and began to laugh. "I'm sorry, but I wonder between the two sister who's going to drool first." And this time the knock landed right where Mujaheed wanted it to, and she sealed her mouth up seeing Asma'u and Fareeda as they walked toward the parking lot.

"Ya Fareeda! I thought I had to come inside and call you." Nana said as she winked at Mujaheed before she walked to where they stood.

"I had to wait for Asma'u to finish getting ready, Nana. Can we leave already?" She asked as she briskly looked at where Mujaheed stood, looking at them with an expression that was so hard to decipher.