𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘱𝘵𝘦𝘳 𝘦𝘪𝘨𝘩𝘵

MONTE CARLO, MONACO, 2019

Genevieve looked at him.
Studied his face, examined every feature.
His pink cheeks, the stubble that was already growing back slightly.
The birthmarks on his face and the bright green eyes she had looked into so many times.

His green eyes reminded her of the lush green of the plants in spring when they regrow and drive away the winter chill.

Whenever Genevieve looked into Charles' eyes, they also banished the coldness in her. His moss green eyes soothed her, telling her without words that she didn't have to worry. That there was no need to be afraid.

The Monegasque knew this face all her life, perhaps even better than her own.

Charles' exuded a feeling of home and whenever she heard his name or even his voice, she felt transported back to her childhood.
Genevieve had had a good childhood because she had Charles by her side.

Together they learned how to swim and ride a bike.
They sat next to each other in absolutely every grade and both would leave their same-sex friends to spend time together instead.

Together they had watched the Avatar series so often that it wasn't really normal anymore. They had never lost sight of each other - although Charles had become a successful Formula One driver and Genevieve had her dream job here in Monaco.

Genevieve knew Charles, she knew him better than herself and Charles knew her.

He stood close to her so she could smell his aftershave.
His breath hit her skin, warm and gentle.

Genevieve wanted to - "No", she suddenly breathed out and took a few steps back. Walked away from Charles, who frowned in confusion.
But Genevieve kept her distance, looking at him pleadingly.

"No", she repeated, shook her head.
So much had changed between them in the past few months and for Genevieve, Charles was no longer just her best friend and she wasn't just his best friend since diapers.

The Monegasque felt this rumbling in her stomach, as if thousands of butterflies were squeezed in there waiting to be released and be able to fly to him.

To the man she loved.
Charles Leclerc.

This unfamiliar rumbling in her stomach was a nice feeling and yet at the same time her chest contracted painfully and she got a headache.

She understood now, realized it.
The longer she looked at him, the clearer and more logical it seemed to her - how could she not have fallen in love with him?

Not because he was Charles Leclerc, driver for Scuderia Ferrari, but because he was just Charles.

Charles, who always wanted to be Avatar Aang.

Charles, who loved to play the piano.

Charles, who only put pineapples on his pizza to annoy Genevieve.

Just Charles.

She wasn't interested in everything around him, she was only interested in him - Charlie. But she couldn't love him the way she did.

They've been best friends since they were babies - it ruined everything.
And Genevieve couldn't risk losing him.

Charles understood, realized what his testimony had triggered in Genevieve.
She had understood, realized that he felt more for her than pure friendship.

Admittedly, he was relieved that she had noticed, but at the same time he didn't like her reaction at all and besides she shouldn't have known, he should have told her himself.