Chapter Nineteen, The Day of Unity (Part 1)

Börja om från början

"I won't Hunter, it'll be ok." They whispered and kept me close. I tried to relax and heed their comforting words, but it was hard not to worry. I didn't want to let go, they had been caring for me so much recently. Making me food, telling me about the world, teaching me how to mend my clothing, reminding me to drink water, silly little things like that which I hadn't been provided with in the castle by my uncle. Things that felt important to me. "Hunter, I have to go soon." They reminded me and combed their delicate hands through my messy hair. I took another deep breath and forced myself to let go, but it made me emotional not holding them. They were like... My new comfort zone, but in person form. My comfort adult, I guess. Raine gently kissed my forehead and sighed. "I'll come back, I promise." They told me and fixed my ever-straying blonde strand of hair. I forced myself to smile despite wanting to cry, and leaned into their touch. "Oh Hunter.." They said with a frown. I wiped my dripping eyes and looked away. "I'm sorry." I mumbled and Raine fished the calming balm I liked out of my pocket. "It's okay Hunter, relax and try to keep your mind off of it." They told me and held out the stick of balm. I popped it open and enjoyed the strong scent of the balm, distracting myself completely. I smiled when Raine kissed both of my cheeks and gave me a brief hug. "I'll be back soon Hunter, stay safe with your friends." They hummed and let go of me. I watched as they hitched a ride with Eda, who had a plan of sorts in her head about what would go down. I didn't care about that, as long as Raine would be okay.

"Hey.. Hunter, whatever happened to Mittens and the human?" Edric asked and turned my attention away from the bard's leaving. "Um.. I actually don't know." I admitted sheepishly and curled up in our spot on the cave wall. Edric sat beside me and slowly rubbed my back. "I think it's good we're staying here, Hunter. Maybe we can defend the group against any attackers, like wild demons." He pointed out as I climbed into his lap. I know it was embarrassing to be so clingy, but I was stressed. I didn't mind swallowing my pride for a bit so I was held in his arms. He stopped speaking and focused on holding me properly, resting his head above mine with his arms around me. "Thanks." I mumbled and looked up at his golden yellow eyes. They sparkled in the eventful daylight, shimmering in a sweet sort of way. He was worried about me too, I guess I make people worried about me a lot here. But I didn't mind, I enjoyed having my feelings considered. "Hunter.. You're getting very close." He pointed out with red cheeks. I noticed the lack of distance between our faces and found myself blushing a hue of red as well.

"Sorry, your eyes are so tempting." I mumbled and practically popped like a balloon when I heard his dad behind me. "What are you two doing? It better not be anything dirty." He grumbled and stood over the both of us. "No nothing dirty!" I exclaimed and hid my embarrassment under Edric's sweater. "You looked like you were necking, I had to make sure." He grunted and smiled at the sight of two embarrassed teens. I'm just messing with you two, have fun with.. whatever you kids do these days." He hummed and walked away. "Is your dad always that awkward..?" I asked and cringed. He sighed and nodded. "Unfortunately." He huffed and looked into my violet eyes. "But I don't mind.." He trailed off, not paying much attention to what had happened. "You know, if I didn't know any better, I would say you're a skinwalker." He pointed out. I thought for a moment and shook my head. "If I am, I really wish my magic would kick in." I huffed and crossed my arms. He chuckled and tilted my pouty head up. "Sometimes demon powers don't work that way, maybe you have to wait until your puberty is over." He suggested and I blushed.

"Well how long is that?" I asked curiously. He shrugged and tried to recall his knowledge. "I think I've read that skinwalkers don't stay in a form aside from their own for more than a week, so I'm not sure why you're in this witch form. Maybe... You're a halfling? That would definitely mess with your puberty and stuff." He thought out loud, trying to collect his thoughts together. I sighed in frustration and laid on him. "Well whatever, I just wish my magic wasn't dormant. Then I wouldn't need to rely on these." I remarked and showed him the glyphs on my palm. He grabbed my wrist and stared at the glyphs with concern. "Hunter, did Belos give you these?" He asked with a serious face. "Uh... Yeah." I told him with rising worry. "Witches can track where their magic has been used, your glyphs could give us away." He stated and stood up, bringing my wrist with. I stumbled into standing as well and awkwardly followed as he dragged my wrist to the stream outside. "What are you doing?" I asked and watched as he brought my palm closer to the water. "This is unclean water, it still has acid in it. We can burn it off and seal it this way." He explained, which made me recoil instantly.