Chapter Eighteen, Change of Plans

Hunter's Perspective

I quickly ran through the castle halls in a hurry, chased by Kikimora who was in a fit of rage. "I swear to the Titan I will kill you for what you've done Golden Guard!!" She screeched and I quickly dodged a spell aimed for my head. I swerved around the corner and promptly hit a figure that had been hiding from my field of vision. I stumbled back and my cheek got shot by a second spell, wincing when the acidic spell burned my skin. "Hunter, whatever are you doing?" A daunting voice spoke in a harsh manner. I cringed and looked up at my uncle, frozen in place as he stared with clear disappointment. I shakily squeaked out a few little words in reply. "I-I may have... Stumbled upon Kikimora's private lessons..." I muttered and stood deathly still as he healed the fresh wound on my cheek. "Hm, I see. Kikimora, come here now." He snapped and turned to look at the small demon who was stressing out behind me. I moved out of the way and hid behind him.

Kikimora stepped forward with shaky hands and quick breaths. "Why exactly do you find it funny to chase around my nephew just for... What, watching you train? You've tested me for the last time Kikimora. Please, go back to your little pathetic family where you belong. You're of no use to me here." He grumbled and forced her hand up, magically pulling off the sigil on her wrist. She bit back a pained scream and shook violently, tearing up as she was tossed onto the ground. "You're lucky I am letting you off this easily, but I really couldn't be bothered to kill you right now." He scoffed and grabbed my wrist, dragging me away. I heard Kikimora scamper off sobbing and looked up at my uncle. He seemed much more than angry, most likely because I hadn't done anything for him in a while. "Hunter, I need you to stay closer to me these next few days. The Day of Unity is nearing, and I can't have my blood and flesh scampering around causing me to discharge people. Do you understand, Hunter?" He hummed with a tight grip on my shoulder. I nodded quickly and scratched my neck nervously.

"Why do we have to do the Day of Unity again?" I asked and he sighed, pulling me into a private room. He locked the door and stared at me with an irritated expression. "I've already told you this Hunter, are you questioning my plans?" He asked with his hand ever haunting my shoulder. "N-No of course not uncle, I promise I'm not." I stammered and stared at my shoes. He moved his hand up to my loose strand of hair and relaxed, smiling as he tucked my hair back. "My perfect little nephew." He hummed and rubbed my cheek. His strange mood swings confused me, he was just questioning my loyalty and now he's complimenting me. "Are you okay?" I asked quietly and watched as his cold hand returned to his side. "Hm, that is quite the good question, little black cat. I don't know really." He told me and tiredly blinked. I nodded and stared at his hand. It kept fluctuating between solid and liquid, and shaking almost like it was possessed.

"I wish there was a way to cure your curse, uncle." I commented and he hid his hand from my view. "Yes well, I've come to terms with it. Now run along to your room, I've got no time for small talk." He sighed and opened up the door, walking off before I could see his shaking hand once more. I really do want to cure his curse, maybe then he won't be so corrupt. I slinked into my room and laid down, sighing tiredly. I stared at the glyphs engraved into my palm and carefully traced a light glyph into the air. The spell fizzled and crackled as it lit up, leaving my hand dizzy as the sphere floated up to the ceiling. It dissipated into a thousand fragments of light and scattered across my room. Hm.. This glpyh thing my uncle gave me does really work, but it hurts to use. I sat up when there was a light knock on my door, staring at the shadow haunting the crack at the door. I got up and peaked out from behind the door.

Raine was standing there with a pleasant smile. "Oh Hi." I said plainly and stared at them awkwardly. Raine offered their hand to me and looked around. "I think we should go, it's dangerous for you to stay here." They told me and I stared at their hand. "But won't Belos sense that something is off?" I asked and walked out of my room. They continued to hold out their hand and hummed. "Yes, and I know the plan was to keep you here, but it's more important that you're safe. You and all of the children." They told me and moved their hand closer to mine. I met their hand in the air and nodded. "If you think that's best..." I mumbled and nervously scratched my neck. Raine nodded and looked around once more. "Let's go, before the emperor or the other coven-heads see us leave." They said quietly and brought me through the halls, all the way down the beautiful old stairs to the back entrance of the castle. There sat Rascal on a bush, eagerly waiting to see me.