Chapter Sixteen, The Blood of the Innocent

Edric's Perspective

There was a strange rumor going around the school that had slipped out of the principal's office. I didn't pay much attention to it, I didn't see the value of it quite like the girls seemed to. Something about word from The Golden Guard, which was quite interesting. I've gotten to see a lot of him recently. However, this seemed to be more than a rumor, because there was an assembly in the gymnasium that seemed to suggest this information was urgent. Right now I was just studying the difference between demon species. More specifically, how to identify them depending on what genitalia they had. Kinda gross, but important if someone decided to go into demonology. I for one was fairly interested, because all of the different demons that still count as a singular classification of creature. It's cool and weird at the same time, and I wanted to know about all of it. I slowly weaved a stream of light between my fingers as I read, looking at the different images with curiosity. Sadly, I was the only one that was actually paying attention to class. Usually the teacher wouldn't let that slide, but they were to busy in the principal's office. Another reason this supposed rumor was more than a rumor. But it's not of my concern yet.

"Yo Eddie boy, we're gonna bail outta here and prank the illusionists, you in? I mean you should know the best way to prank them, and you're a great pranker." An obnoxious voice shouted as an arm out my in a chokehold. I wasn't really in the mood to go prank some poor kids trying to bend light to their will, it's really hard and isn't worth it in the end. "No thanks, I want to be ready for the test tomorrow on demonic properties." I declined politely and the arms let go of me. "So lame Eddie, you need to lighten up." The rough student sighed and I watched as a fairly large portion of the class left the room. I rolled my eyes and continued to read my book, taking notes as I read. I noticed one of the remaining students sitting beside me at my table. It was a smaller female demon with cascading black hair and red curls. She had a small red silk bow tied in her hair, and two protruding horns that seemed goat-like in appearance. She wore soft white gloves that delicately slid across the table as she sat down. Her skin was pale and her eyes were a deep red, almost as if her pupils bled a cold pool of crimson nothingness. She seemed eerily disturbing, with an overcompensating smile and a creepily focused stare.

"Hi." She spoke quietly and set down her things, taking out books and a journal for her notes. "My name is Snow." She continued and looked up at me, her pale pink lips curling into a pleasing smile. Something about her charmed me, but it felt so unnatural and forced. "I haven't been here for most of the year.. I was at a different school last semester but I transferred. Could I have your notes?" She asked and glanced at the notes I had stopped taking mid-word. "Oh yeah sure, here." I said and flipped my notes open to the start of the semester, handing her my notebook. She began copying my notes and leaned on me, staying silent as she wrote with a light pink pen. "I'm Edric by the way." I told her and she hummed in acknowledgment. "That's a nice name." She spoke softly and slowly slid her tail around my waist. I watched as the thin imp tail secured around me, tucking the tip of the heart tail under my belt. It was weird how clingy this little demon girl was getting to me, but I suppose she probably felt intimidated by her new environment.

Her dark ruby eyes flickered up at me as if to see my reaction to her invasive behavior before returning to writing. "Your handwriting is very nice, Snow." I said with a small smile, trying to be friendly. She looked up at me and nervously fidgeted, picking up her stuff. "Could I give your notes back tomorrow?" She asked quietly and slipped her tail away from my waist. "Sure, I don't mind." I said and watched as she quickly went to a seat at the opposite side of the room. What a strange girl, I guess maybe she just wanted me to be quiet. Well, now I don't have a notebook to continue my notes in. I can still read this book I suppose. I flipped through the pages and sighed, alone again. That's usually how it went with my life, and I was fairly used to it at this point. At least Hunter was interested in me for a little while. The announcement system started up and there was a slight tap on the connected mic. "Students, please come to the gymnasium for a very important announcement." Principal Bump said before turning off the system once more.