Allies?

"Try to hurry, okay? We only have a little bit of time left on these two, don't waste any. We can't afford mistakes, find out what her crazy father did to discover this. Relive his exact moments until he fingers it out since he isn't cooperating."

A hurried whispering conversation sounds outside and I don't know if Devland is awake to hear it. It sounds important. I bite my top lip really hard until I hear an angry hiss to my left.

"What the heck!" Devland whispers. He is quickly silenced when he overhears the conversation.

There is a medical smell that lingers in the room we are in and it reminds me of a hospital or vet's office. There is also a hint of intense cleaner.

The solid doors burst open and a different set of scientists enter to perform their daily experiments on us. The yellow-tinted round lights on the ceiling flicker on, reminding me of a horror movie.

"Time to break the law again right? This is child abuse. I won't press charges if you let us go." My daily compliments will never stop. I just desperately want to make these people so angry that they lash out or something like that.

No one will report us missing because both Devland and I don't have many friends and family.

I actually don't know how much family Devland has.....

Did he tell me? I don't remember. I know that he killed his own father....but his mother....

"Well, we only have a month left so we have to hurry. You guys probably won't get to wake up for a little while."

Someone actually answered, I can't tell which one though because they are all wearing masks, blue surgical gloves, hair nets, and blue aprons.

I don't even want to know what they do to us anymore.

July 14, 2022, 3:00 am —- 13 days later

I wake up and don't remember when they put me to sleep. I am sure that it isn't healthy to stay on sleepytime drugs for too long. I wonder how long I have been out.

"Devland?"

Silence. I hold my breath and don't hear anything to my left. I open my dark blue eyes to find the pitch black. I try to look at Devland but see nothing due to the darkness. I guess I will try to talk to him in a few hours.

Or I could just see if I can annoy him to the point where he wakes up.

"When I'm away from you, I'm happier than ever, wish I could explain it better.....wish it wasn't true...." then I revert to humming most of the rest of the lyrics until the fun part of the song. "You call me again, drunk in your Benz, driving home under the influence. You scared me to death but I'm wastin' my breath cause you only listen to your......friends....."

The light suddenly flicks on and I look around the equipment-filled room. I immediately stop singing. Next to the light switch, the creepily still figure of Alex stands and I nearly scream but hide my emotion with a numb frown.

"You have a pretty voice...." he says.

I know you want a response but I don't have anything to say to you.

I look to my left, searching for Devland. He lays there calmly but I can't tell if he is faking it or if he is really still asleep.

Alex chuckles, "You honestly care about a person like that? You barely know him."

I know him better than I know you.

"Look, Lex...." I flick my eyes to his and think of hitting him again if I could only reach him. I set my jaw and shoot daggers into his soul. "OK, OK, Alexia," he says sarcastically, "I don't want you to be mad at me. We can still be friends when this is all over?"