Part 8 - To the Death

Clarke POV

I can barely stand. This was Sasha and my third fight and there was no way I was going to beat her. The fight was over, and we were getting dragged back to get chained up. There was no way I could beat Sasha. Every fight she won, she got food and I got nothing. The Commander has been watching me and can tell I'm weak. From today's fight, Sasha is given some meat and water. I just look at her, as my stomach rumbles.

She looked at me and smirked. "I will repay your favor." she says quietly while throwing me some meat. I nod to her and quickly eat the meat. When I finish the small piece, a guard comes in and gives both of us the same amount of food and water before leaving. Sasha and I stare at each other with curiosity but that soon fades, and we are gobbling down our food and water.

We both got some sleep last night but not a lot since it was raining and storming the whole night. We got up and stretched as much as we could, it was hard with the chains around our wrists and feet. The door opened and four guards came in.

They unchained Sasha and me, pushing us into the pit once more. We both look at each other and hear chanting all around. "kom the wamplei!" (To the death!)

"What are they saying?" Sasha asked me.

"I don't know." I respond. I see the Commander stand up out of the corner of my eye, and everything goes quiet.

"This will be your last fight." She says. "This fight will not be the same. This fight will be to the death." I hear her say. Sasha looks at me with a huge smirk on her face. "Your fight begins...Now." She says sitting back down.

I turn back around to get knocked in the jaw. I swing but miss. Sasha is fast and knows my weaknesses. But I also know hers. Her right ribs are scarred from a fight on the ark. Seeing we both are fed and hydrated, this fight will be close.

I turn around to get knocked in the rib cage and fall to the ground. I swing my leg and Sasha falls to the ground next to me. We both shoot up exchange swings. She swings her leg to kick me in the stomach, but I block the kick by grabbing her leg and swinging her body to the ground. I kick her in the ribs, and she lets out a scream.

Backing up, I motion for her to get up. I don't want to kill her, but she doesn't share those feelings. She stands up and swings at me. I dodge it and put all my strength into my left hook, which connects to her jaw with a powerful crack. She stumbles backward and falls to her knees.

"To the death." The Commander says again. I look at her and shake my head.

"I will not kill her, not for sport." I tell her. She looks at me and her facial expression changes. She looked, sad.

"Then you will be the one who dies." She says then looks to Sasha.

I turn around to see Sasha on her feet. She rushes at me and I try to move out of the way, but she was too fast. She crashes into me and I fall to the ground, with her pinning me down. I move my arm loose and she puts me in an arm lock. I try to move but her grip is inescapable. She pulls harder and I can feel my arm stretch.

"Sasha, please, don't," I tell her.

"I will not die here." She says pulling with all her strength. I hear a crack and the worst pain I have ever felt. I scream and tears fall from my eyes. Sasha lets go and backs up smirking at me. I look at my arm and take a deep breath. She didn't break it, she only pulled it out of its socket. But it still hurt like a bitch. I grab my shoulder and take three deep breaths before I ram my hand into my shoulder and hear another crack.

The Grounders were staring at me in silent shock. I have had enough of this. My own people betrayed me and now I was going to die at one of my people's hands. I stood up and was prepared for what I had to do.

I stare at Sasha, who was smiling at me. I rush at her and close-line her. She falls backward but I don't care. I run behind her and put my arms around her neck. She couldn't move, I had her in an impossible chokehold. I lean down to her ear and whisper, "May you find peace." Then with all my strength in my right arm, seeing my left was weak. I twisted and heard a snap. Sasha's body fell to the ground not moving. After looking at her body, realizing what I had done, I steady my breath and look at the commander while holding my shoulder. "Our winner, Clarke of the sky people!" She shouts and cheers overcome the entire camp.