18

♡♡♡

♡♡♡

jake's eyes focused on nothing in particular, was it the desks lined up in front of his own? or the blank wall? he was completely zoned out, exhausted - mentally and physically. his eyes felt heavy, like they were pulling his entire face down. his stomach felt empty but he didn't have an appetite at all.

the classroom was silent, jake had remained unmoved in his seat since the bell rang for lunch break, letting all the students rush out. he thought about retreating back to the bathroom cubicle he'd been in this morning but his body wouldn't move, it felt tired and lifeless.

he'd noticed sunghoon had left with the crowd of students when the bell had gone, but he really couldn't pay much attention to what face expression he wore or what his body language said. his head was spinning and pounding, remembering the conversation he had with his family the night before and embarrassing encounter he faced with sunghoon. he hadn't gotten any work done in the few lessons that had passed and was so drained, like he hadn't slept in days.

an immense wave of gloom washed over him, and he felt the sudden urge to cry like his heart was lit on fire. but, nothing had happened? nothing worth crying over? a lump formed in his throat, his eyes watered but no tears came tricking down his face. his stomach growled quietly but the thought of consuming any type of food seemed impossible with his lack of appetite.

jake brought his legs up to his chest, still seated on his chair, wrapping his arms around them and resting his head on his knees - watching the world outside the window. it was bright and sunny, quite ironic to how he was feeling in the moment.

the familiar sound of the classroom door sliding open startled jake a little bit, but he didn't have the energy to move and see who entered. he simply continued watching the clouds pass slowly in the sky.

he heard the light footsteps of the person approaching, he already knew it was sunghoon as the boy pulled out a chair from the next desk and dragged it to his right. jake didn't dare turn around or speak, he couldn't stop thinking about how small his problems were in a world so so big, how irrelevant they were and how at the end of the day it didn't meant anything. yet something so 'small' could make one feel nothing at all but also so many emotions at once.

"are you okay ?" that sweet familiar voice spoke.

jake couldn't reply. he didn't know how to, what should he say? yes or no didn't seem fitting since he felt entirely numb. he just buried his head deeper into his arms. he appreciated sunghoon but simply, he did not have the strength to open up. he was afraid, of judgement, of hurting and burdening another person with his stupid little issues.

sunghoon rustled at he moved around, finally turning his head around, knowing he looked absolutely drained. he placed a sandwich in front of him, packed in plastic. he must have went to the store when he left before. sunghoon pulled another sandwich out of his bag, packed in the same plastic container. had he bought another one on purpose for jake?

jake smiled slightly at the thought and felt a hint of energy as sunghoon gave him a reassuring smile. he sat up, brushing his hand through his hair and feeling his appetite return as he watched the boy next to him munch on his food. he began to open the packaging.

'"did something happen at home?" sunghoon spoke quietly.

jake took a bite into his sandwich and chewed, he just look at sunghoon and nodded softly.

"me and you, we are more similar than I thought huh?"

jake was a little puzzled, did sunghoon have issues he was unaware of at home? he felt reluctant to believe this, he had assumed his parents cherished him and felt tremendous pride in their only son with all the awards he received and immense talent he had. but he didn't question him, he might feel the exact way he did about opening up to someone else.

♡♡♡

"hey, are you free after school?" jake asked, his mood had improved greatly since sunghoon came and they shared laughs in between light conversation.

"yup, it's my day off - do you want to come over?"

"yeah.. i'd like that." he smiled.

it was nearly the end of lunch break and the two had finished eating and suddenly a thought popped into jakes head. that past day the only thing on his mind was his family problems. he barely thought about him and sunghoon, the things they talked about or the special little moments they spent together. he wondered.. what exactly were they? friends don't do the things they do. such as play with each others hair, hold hands or kiss them.

"what are we?" jake mumbled under his breath, asking himself and sunghoon at the same time.

the dark haired boy raised his eyebrows, almost shocked at the question, of course - being sprung with a question like that so unexpectedly. jake fidgeted with his fingers, wiggling them and then pulling on them, nervousness - sunghoon could tell in an instant. jake felt soft hands on top of his, hand larger than his own and immediate comfort flowed through him. with his fingers, he wrapped them around sunghoon's one hand. it's crazy how his touch can calm him down in less than a second, no drug or medication would ever suffice to this.

the two held eye contact, soft lips curved into smiles, eyes twinkling. sunghoon sighed, relieved.

"why don't you tell me? what do you want us to be sim jaeyun..?" the corners of his mouth settling upwards across his complexion, forming a little grin.

♡♡♡

w/c | 987
200123