{20}: Destiny

"So, you're the genius behind this incredible brew. The whole city is buzzing about you! I hope Pao pays you well," a customer said to Iroh warmly after tasting his now locally-famous tea.

"Good tea is its own reward," Iroh smiled.

"But it doesn't have to be the only reward. How would you like to have your own tea shop?" the man offered, making me and Iroh widen our eyes in surprise.

"My own tea shop? This is a dream come true!"

"Heard that, Zuko?" I asked him. "This man wants to give us our own tea shop in the Upper Ring of the city!"

"I'll try to contain my excitement," Zuko said sarcastically.

"Are you trying to poach my tea-maker?" Pao asked accusingly.

"Sorry Pao, but that's business for you, am I right?" the man asked him.

"Mushi, if you stay, I'll make you assistant manager. Wait, senior assistant manager!" Pao tried to bribe us.

"I'll provide you with a new apartment in the Upper Ring. The tea shop is yours to do whatever you want, complete creative freedom," the man insisted.

"I even get to name the shop?" Iroh asked, clearly getting excited.

"Of course!" the man laughed. "Your lives are about to change for the better!"

🔥🔥🔥

Iroh didn't stop talking about his upcoming new shop all day after. I felt truly glad for him. Life in Ba Sing Se suited him well. I could tell this was the right place for him to be, ironically, being the place of his biggest military disgrace ever.

"So, I was thinking about names for my new tea shop. How about the Jasmine Dragon? It's dramatic, poetic, has a nice ring to it."

"I love that," I said with a smile. "Just don't try to make tea from random leaves from the forest again, alright? What do you think, Zuko?"

"I think you have been hiding something, Hana," he said coldly, slamming the once crumpled up flyer of the missing flying bison onto the table harshly. "I found this in your peach basket. The Avatar is here in Ba Sing Se and he's lost his bison."

"I... I don't know how that got there," I lied, gulping loudly. I could tell he was very angry at me for keeping this from him.

"We have a chance for a new life here," Iroh began, calming the tension. "If you start stirring up trouble, we could lose all the good things that are happening for us."

"Good things that are happening for you! Have you ever thought that I want more from life than a nice apartment and a job serving tea?"

"There is nothing wrong with a life of peace and prosperity. I suggest you think about what it is that you want from your life and why."

"Zuko... Please don't ruin this for us. Things are finally starting to work out for us here, we could finally find happiness," I said, trying to reach for his hand, but he pulled it back abruptly.

"I want my destiny."

"Just tell me... Am I a part of it?" I asked, narrowing my eyes at him and looking straight into his. He looked back at me without any hesitation, but didn't answer.

Iroh's voice was the only thing breaking the staring match between us. "The Tea Weevil! No, that's stupid."

"You know what, Zuko?" I sighed tiredly, taking a step back. "I'm done trying to pull you from the edge. If you want to jump, then do it. I can't keep you from ruining your life forever."