Chapter 13: Meeting With Mashima Sensei

Start from the beginning

When I exited the stadium with Yagami, Arisu had an umbrella, a gift from Nagumo. However, upon spotting me, she disregarded the shelter and hurried over to check on my well-being.

Rain posed no issue when one had strong immunity, as Arisu did. But her vulnerability lay in her weak heart.

Our proximity was reduced to a single step, almost on the verge of contact. Taking a towel I had acquired from the nurse, I gently began to dry her rain-soaked hair.

"Huh!?" she exclaimed, clearly taken aback by the unexpected gesture.

"You advised me to take care of myself, yet here you are doing the same," I remarked.

As I dried her hair, I couldn't help but notice the silky and beautiful texture it possessed. She truly deserved to be referred to as a princess...

Arisu avoided my gaze, appearing slightly uneasy about my spontaneous action of touching her hair. She made an effort to convey a sense of composure, but in retrospect, I should have sought permission before proceeding.

However, I took the initiative because I felt accountable for her being exposed to the rain. Normally, I wouldn't have been concerned, but she stood there out of worry for my well-being. Thus, as a token of gratitude, I felt compelled to offer her this much care, I suppose.

"I'm astonished by your occasional gentleness, Ayanokouji-Kun," she finally remarked, having calmed herself.

"What's even more surprising is that you endured the rain on my behalf, knowing the risk of catching a cold."

She closed her eyes briefly, seemingly lost in thought, then met my gaze with an answer. "Well, you could call it human warmth."

Human warmth? I see, so that's what it's called. Honestly, I've never experienced it before, nor do I anticipate ever encountering it. My upbringing in the 'White Room' was devoid of any warmth, embodying pure coldness and its exact opposite.

Shaking off those contemplations, I resumed drying her hair. Once finished, I glanced at the wall clock in the room. It read 00:20.

"We should leave now. I don't want to keep him waiting any longer."

Arisu nodded, and together we headed out of the infirmary.

Rain was still falling, prompting me to open the umbrella again. As I did, Arisu came closer, holding my hand, this time standing even closer to me.

"Hm?"

"...Weren't you the one who just told me to take care of myself?" she inquired.

"Indeed, I was."

"Well then, there shouldn't be any issue," she replied.

Recognizing the futility of arguing, I let it go.

***

After walking for a while, we reached the meeting place I had arranged, which was...

"Class A, huh? Why did you choose this spot?" Arisu asked, eyeing the door.

"I'm transferring to this class today, so I thought discussing matters here would be appropriate. Also, the person I'm meeting suggested it, mentioning that the classroom would likely be empty at this time," I explained.

"That's a reasonable choice, I suppose. If my assumptions are correct, then I believe I know who you're about to meet," she remarked.

"Which is why I asked last time – do you really want to get involved in this?"

"Yes, my stance hasn't changed. Consider me an observer for now," she affirmed.

"If that's your decision. But remember, if you start obstructing things, I won't hesitate to take action."