1. 3 years earlier

Start from the beginning

A strand of Natalia's jet black hair fell across her face and my fingers instinctively tucked it behind her ear. Even in her sleep she looked so pure, angelic.

Fuck, she had no reason to end up with someone like me.

The lights above the motorway illuminated the inside of the car, bringing my attention back to her. She stirred as she lay across the back seat and, before I knew it, she turned around, her face facing me. What I was not prepared for was the way those baby blue orbs held me captivated when she opened her eyes, even if she was barely awake.

It was like I was under a spell, unable to tear my gaze away from her. Warmth spread across my chest as I watched her lips twitch into a sleepy smile.

"Shhh, little wolf," I whispered as I stroked her head, "It's okay- you are safe. Go back to sleep."

You like her, my fox mindlinked while I watched Natalia succumb to slumber again.

He was mistaking my moment of softness for more than it actually was. You don't know what you are talking about, Aron.

Sure. As if I don't feel the same pull towards her as you do. You know what it means.

I shook my head, trying to push away the idea he was planting in my head. Nothing – it means nothing. Not until we hear her say those words.

Yet, the damn fox was not buying what I was trying to convince him. You can pretend as much as you want, James, but you know as well as I do that this girl and her wolf are our mates.

My fingers wrapped around the hem of my shirt, lifting it just enough for me to have a look at those words again.

Even in the darkness there is light.

The words left sourness in the back of my throat. If she ruly was my mate, she had no idea just how dangerous I was for someone like her. I was no prince from a fairy tale or a dreamy lover– I was a deceiver, a corruptor. The very reason why people said that you should never leave a fox guarding the henhouse.

"Where should we drop Natalia?" Callum's voice snapped me out of my thoughts. "Do we take her straight to Windcrest?"

Hell no. I didn't trust her father to take care of her, even if I knew she was well-loved by her pack, so someone would have made sure that she was looked after.

The bear Alpha had a point though- where could we leave her?

Bring her home, James. Aron growled in my head, but I ignored him.

Taking her to the Red Tails skulk was out of the question. No one from my foxes would have questioned my decision, but there would be whispers, rumours as to what a young wolf from the Windcrest pack was doing there with their Alpha. Hell, she was going to have the same questions if she woke up in my place, and the last thing I wanted was to hear her say the words etched on my skin.

I couldn't allow that to happen.

Not only was she better off without me, but the pull between us would then also become impossible to ignore. Once we recognised each other as mates, the mate bond would do everything in its power to encourage us to claim, mark and mate each other, and none of those was an option.

Not for us.

In another world, in another time, maybe there would have been a chance for something between us, but not here and not now. Not when Kerrin's deal was hanging above my head.

"I don't think it's a good idea to leave her unconscious with Angus. He is not exactly Dad of the Year material." Neither of the other two shifters disagreed with me. We all knew what the old Macalister was like- cruel, scheming, and fierce supporter of the archaic shifter values. Loving father was not part of his resume. "Maybe it's best for her to stay with your pack, Connor," I turned to the Blackwood Beta. "She would be more comfortable with her own kind, even if it's a different pack. And once she has rested, you can take her to Windcrest."