Meeting Jess

It had been two months after the world champs. Lemonade had won a further three comps at 1.40. Drew and I were now in the same pony club. Josh now being seventeen could not ride in the same things we rode in. Damon going overseas to live helpd leave new opportunities for other riders.

A 16 year old girl was in my pony club, she had long black hair and blue eyes. But what caught my eye was how free the horse moved over the jumps and how in control she was. The beautiful palomino was static over the jumps. I had heard her name before, what was it. Jess Holden, that’s it.

Drew and I walked up to the class she was in. She was jumping in the 1.25 but looking at her horse gave me the feeling she could jump much higher. We trotted up to Molly and my other friend that were in the same class as her. “Hey Molly, hey Jill” I said as lemonade stopped a couple of meters in front of them. “Hey Greg, Hey Drew”

“How are you doing?” I asked as I looked to Molly’s pony. “I won two out of the three comps and now I am moving into this class” Molly said quite pleased with her winnings today. “How has she gone?” Drew said pointing to Jess. Jill looked the way we were pointing. “She has won the class 1.20 and 1.25.” While we were talking I had no idea that Talia had come up behind me. “Hey Greg” she called out giving me a heart attack. “Don’t do that, ever” I said as I composed myself back on Lemonade who had not bugged at my little outburst.

“I am sorry I couldn’t help it.” I looked towards her and saw her smiling. "Your not sorry" I said as I trotted away as I realised that Jess was going towards her float. “I will be back.” I said as I started to canter over to Jess's float.

“Hey” I called out. She turned around from grooming her palomino. “Oh hey, you must be Greg Matthews. Junior world champ.” I nodded as I dismounted off Lemonade who now was very jealous because I was stroking Jess’s Palomino. “She is very pretty.” I said as I walked back to Lemonade. “Thank you, her name is Lilly.” I looked towards Drew and Molly who were laughing at a joke Talia had told them, most likely.  “Do you want to hang out with us?” I asked. She looked very uncertain, then nodded, before getting back on her horse and following me towards the group of now very red faced human beings. “What now?” I asked as I made Lemonade stop.

“Oh nothing” Talia began. “Nothing at all.”