Chapter Five

𝒦𝑒𝒶𝓉𝑜𝓃 𝑅𝑒𝒾𝒹
POV

I made it to school with 15 minutes til the bell rings. I get out of the car and see that Elliot and Derek texted me saying they're by the locker room.

I walk into school and start heading to the locker room when I get suffocated by the smell of cheap perfume. I can feel her hand on my shoulder before I see her face, but I know it's Addison.

I met Addison my first day at this school at the beginning of sophomore year. She offered to show me around and being new and not knowing anyone yet, I accepted her offer. Which is now one of my biggest regrets. About halfway through the year we started seeing each other, nothing serious. At least for me but it seems someone didn't get the memo. I ended it a few weeks into summer because I didn't want to string her along knowing I didn't have feelings for her but she claimed she was fine with it and still wanted to see me. She's been following me around ever since.

"Hey K baby. Did you have a good summer, minus missing me of course?" She asked while continuing her rub her hand along my shoulder and bicep.

I take her hand off and bring it back to her side gently. "Hey Addison. My summer was good and I hope yours was too, but I gotta run."

"No worries, I'll definitely see you around soon. Later K baby" she winked at me while walking backwards. I don't know why I ever got involved with her.

When I make it to the locker room, I see my four best friends sitting together. Elliot was the first real friend I made at the school. He saw my baseball hat the first week of school and asked if I was trying out for the team. He took me under his wing, even with us being the same age. He introduced me to Derek, Luca, and Eric and the four of us have been inseparable ever since. We're pretty popular around the school, but they're the only friends I could ever need.

"Yo K! You ready to take us to States?" Derek says giving me a fist bump.

"We're going all the way boys!" I exclaim back.

The rest of the boys begin piling into the locker room for a quick baseball meeting before practice today. Coach Campbell walks in and blows his whistle.

"Alright listen up boys! You have all worked hard over the summer and we have a reputation to uphold. We're going on 2 consecutive State Championships and I expect to get a third. We have practice right after school so be ready and on the field by 2:30. Got it?" he asks

"Yes Coach!" everyone replies back

"Stop by my office for any questions you may have, my door is always open. Have a good first day everyone. Dismissed!" he says and starts walking over to our group.

"Keaton, you have to take your physical to the main office before first period. Mrs. Williams should be in today so you better go now to make it to class" as he hands me the envelope, I give him a nod, wave goodbye to the boys and head to the office.

As I'm walking to the office, I get ambushed by Addison yet again. I have a feeling this is going to be a reoccurring problem this year.

"Oh Keaton, I didn't expect to see you again. Must be a sign from the universe" she bats her eyelashes at me, probably trying to get me to hook up with her again but those days are long gone.

"Apparently the universe is acting up today" I say back not meaning to be rude but just needing a break from her. "Listen I really gotta go and bring this to the main office"

"So punctual" she says dreamily while twirling her hair. "I'll let you go but I'll miss you Keaty" she gives me a quick kiss on the cheek before rushing off. Keaty? I wipe the lipstick off my cheek and open the door to the office.

As I walk in I immediately notice no one at the front desk. I start to look around when everything around me seems to stop.

A girl, around my age if I were to guess, is sitting in one of the waiting chairs. She has the most striking and clear blue eyes I have ever seen and her face is adorned with the perfect amount of freckles across the bridge of her nose. Her blonde hair is so shiny and long. Before I get the chance to look at her breathtaking eyes again, she turns her head down.

Before I can realize how stupid and bizarre my decision is, I walk over to her.

"Hi" I say to her, Hi? That's all you got?

"Um hi" she says back in a small voice but I could listen to it on repeat.

"Are you new here? I don't think I've ever seen you before." I definitely would've recognized her if I've seen her here. She's kinda hard to miss.

"Yes and no. I used to go here but I-I sort of moved away for a while. Now I'm back." She replies and if I could see her whole face I could see just how pretty her smile is.

"Well welcome back. What's your na-" I get cut off by the back down opening. Mrs. Williams comes out and walks up to the desk.

"Well well well look who's back at Lincoln. How are you sweetie?" she says to my mystery girl as she gets up from her chair and goes up to the desk.

"Hi Mrs. Williams. I'm doing well how are you?" she says back and call me naive, but this girl has to be one of the nicest people ever.

"I'm doing wonderful hun. What can I help you with today?"

"I need my schedule and locker combo for this year. Is it ready yet? If not I can come back." she says, almost like she's scared to be asking in the first place.

"Oh yes it is right here. Don't worry about being late the first couple of days. I made sure to tell the teachers about you being new and getting the lay of the land."

"Thank you so much, have a great day Mrs. Williams" she waves goodbye and and turns around only to bump into me. I steady her by gently grabbing her forearms, to which she flinches a little. I furrow my eyebrows but just assume she wasn't expecting to run into me. She looks up at me for a split second but I'll take it because I got to see those breathtaking eyes one more time.

She mutters a sorry and heads for the door. I can't help but look back at her to make sure she's ok, but when she meets up with three girls who wrap her in big hugs I can't help the feeling I get knowing she's in good hands.

I walk up to the desk and greet Mrs. Williams. "Morning Ma'am, I have my physical for baseball."

"Perfect, you're all set for the season Mr. Reid. Good luck this year hun." she smiles at me and takes the envelope.

I thank her and start heading towards first period but stop short when I see the girl from the office at her locker. Locker #5. I don't stay for long because I don't want to be caught like a creeper so I begin walking upstairs to Chemistry. Who makes someone have Chemistry first period?

Thankfully the day flies by and there's only one period left until the first official practice of the season. At this time I would typically have Math but I got excused today to help Coach Campbell set up the field.

This is going to be a great season!

———————————————————————————

QOTC
If you're in school at the moment, what is your first period class?

-meg xoxo