Four • The Black Panther

“Cynthia, hurry up! We are already late for work. Cara will eat my head if we didn't reach on time.” Thea went on rambling in anxiety as she walked hurriedly. They were heading to the dark castle and were passing through the woods.

“Thea, don't stress yourself. Your sleepless nights are already declining your health. At least, try to be calm in the daytime.” Cynthia suggested while playing with the rose in her hand.

“Cynthia, I can still feel the touch crawling on my skin. It's been two years since it has started. I think I am cursed.” She grimaced while touching her neck where she could still feel the invisible kiss.

“Why would someone curse you, Thea?”

“Maybe I earned it in my previous life. Who knows why every night I feel an invisible entity touching my body.”

“Why don't you ask help from those five brothers? They are supernatural beings. They must have some powers to put a sheild on you so that you don't feel that invisible touch.”  Cynthia suggested hopefully. She had seen Thea crying at nights when some invisible force would be touching her intimately. It was out of their understanding why and how this was happening.

“I don't think so. Their powers are related to the elements each of them possess. They can do nothing to help me.” Thea dismissed the idea.

“But it doesn't hurt trying. What if they know someone who can help you?”

Thea was about to reply when her eyes fell on a terrifying black animal standing on his fours at a distance and glaring at them with his yellow eyes. It was a panther. A black one.

“Cynthia...” That was all she could utter before that panther launched on Cynthia. Thea was stunned. The panther totally ignored her and attacked her sister who was walking behind her.

The rose fell from Cynthia's hands as the panther launched on her. She screamed, so did Thea. Cynthia pushed the panther with all her might but it was too strong. It gave a loud roar as if desperate to make her it's prey. Thea too was trying to pull the panther away from Cynthia but it didn't budge. She was confused why it chose to attack on Cynthia and not her. Cynthia was failing to keep it's roaring mouth away from her. Her face was inches away from its sharp and long teeth.

Cynthia had already accepted her death from the hands of a terrific wild panther when an arrow came hitting the panther's left temple and exited out from it's right temple. In mere seconds the beast collapsed on Cynthia's body who screamed harder than before.

Thea looked in the direction from where the arrow came and found Alexander sitting on a horse at a distance with a bow in his hand. He got down from the horse and walked to them. He first looked at the terrified Thea and then his eyes fell on Cynthia who was trapped underneath the wild beast he just killed. He pushed the beast away from her body, making her sigh in relief. There was blood on her face and injuries on her arms. Without any second thought he picked her up in his arms and made her sit on his horse. He looked at Thea and signalled her to follow him.

•••

Cynthia was lying on a tiny bed placed in the vast dispensary of the Dark Castle. Thea was sitting by her side on a chair and caressing her forehead. A woman, supposedly the doctor, was making paste of some herbs. Alexander was standing in a corner with Alarick by his side.

“So how did this accident happen?” Alarick asked.

“A black panther attacked them.” Alexander informed.

“Sorry to interrupt, sir. But that panther only attacked my sister. It totally ignored my presence, even when I was trying to pull it away from her.” Thea shared her confusion with them who frowned at this piece of information.

“Do you mean to say that Cynthia was it's specific target?” Alarick asked with furrowed brows.

Thea nodded.

“What's your name, lady?” He asked.

“Thea, sir.”

“I think it's time we tell you about your sister's true identity. She is our mate.”

Thea gasped at the disclosure. Her eyes fell on Cynthia who was sleeping under the effect of anaesthesia.

“Her life is important. She is the one who can free Ace.” Alarick told her while stepping closer.

“Is that why that panther only hurt her?” She asked.

“It seems so.” He nodded.

“It didn't look like a normal panther. My doubt is that the Evil sent it to hurt her.” Alexander spoke.

“Which means he can attack her again.” Alarick mumbled to himself and began pondering over the issue. He looked at Thea and spoke,“Thea, you and Cynthia should shift into the servants quarters in the castle. She will be safe if she doesn't step out of the castle.”

Thea immediately nodded,“You are right, sir. I'll shift our belongings to the quarters today only.”

“Better.” Alarick and Alexander were about to leave when Thea stopped them, “Sir, there's something else I want to tell you.”

“What is it?” Alarick asked.

And Thea narrated them how for the last two years an invisible entity would touch her body at nights as if she was it's midnight lover. Both the brothers were surprised to hear that. They had lived for centuries but never heard of something like that before. An invisible force assaulting a young lady.

“Thea, I am sorry but we can't help you. However, I know a witch who might be helpful to you. Her name is Zelda and she lives in the Bridget woods,”told Alarick.

“Oh, that is fine, sir. I would leave to meet her in the morning. But please take care of my sister in my absence.”

“You don't need to worry about her anymore,” said Alexander and both the brothers left from there.

Thea sighed in relief. She just needs to meet the witch Zelda and hopefully her problem would be solved. However, Bridget woods were a long away from the Croia Hills. She couldn't go there on her own. She needed a companion and a ride.

“Romeo would gladly accompany me to the Bridget Woods.” She thought.

•••

Thoughts 💭