1. Hello, Roommate!

The world of advertising was cutthroat and ruthless. One mistake, and you would be pushed to depths you can't return from. But one right decision could also skyrocket your success. After spending ten years in this industry, I could say with confidence and some pride even that I made no mistakes.

It could be because I had nothing else to focus on, but I knew it wasn't just that. Years of toil and blood, sweat and tears brought out such a sharp professional in me, and I wasn't about to let it get rained on because of some stupid intern who couldn't even keep his wits around while at work.

New waves of red hot anger rose inside of me, while our director lectured us, mostly me. "How could you let this happen, Alice? How the fuck is a hair product scrumptious? Are you even aware of the way the internet is bashing us right now? Hundreds of memes have been shared ever since, and the hair care brand's image is fully tarnished. What the hell are you going to do now?"

I sat in my seat, head lowered, while Jackson paced the room, clearly agitated and about to rip off the remaining twenty strands of hair on his head. I cursed under my breath, not believing I was thirty three and a ten year veteran in the industry, and still had to be lectured this way. Damn that Sam.

"I will take care of it somehow. Just trust me," I replied in my practised monotone voice.

I never let anyone realize whether it was guilt or annoyance I was feeling. Whether it was anger or sadness I was feeling. It was my infamous professional tone, which even our clients were terrified of. They all constantly criticised my way of speaking behind my back, and hoped I would change for the better.

But why would I when it worked greatly in my favor? I could get rid of personal and professional acquaintances in a jiffy because of this talent, and I wasn't going to change anytime soon. As long as I was doing my job perfectly and timely, nobody should have a complaint, right?

Even though I felt like slamming the director's office door behind me, I resisted. The stress level in me was rising by the minute, and I knew everyone within a five mile radius of me could feel the palpable tension between me and Sam. As soon as we reached our cabin, I turned around to meet Sam's eyes, and the idiot got so startled he threw all his documents over the ground.

Great, just what I wanted to deal with right now.

He immediately kneeled on the ground, fumbling around to pick up the papers, and looking at him made me feel like I should go jump out the window. Maybe that thrill would lessen some of this urge to smack him across the forehead.

"Leave that on the ground and get up," I barked, no longer able to bear this scene.

He immediately followed, staring at me with stupid puppy dog eyes that were strangely working.