We need all the help we can get.

Start from the beginning

"These victories are old, they are almost as old as you." Haroc smiles, he enjoys making Fendan squirm. "You see Fendan, one cannot live in the past. We are entra, we only look to the future. Your third reason must be a promise ... what can you promise me?"

Fendan laughs, now. "What can I promise you? I can promise you rage, heartache." He pauses, I can imagine the smile on his face, and I can see the anger shine through Haroc's eyes. "I think, I can promise you death too."

Fendan's finger taps the screen, and he steps to the side for the reveal. It must be quite a sight. Two of Haroc's most trusted followers, slathered in deceit and displayed for his humiliation. And me. Me, knelt on the floor, bruised blue by Fendan's fists. Me, hunched, with a blade to my neck. Me, the girl he loves. But does he love me enough to risk his life?

"Fendan," Haroc drawls, his smile sets my heart on fire, "I didn't know you had it in you." He knows? He sees through us? "Do as you wish with the girl. She allowed herself to be duped by you, she has already proven herself worthless. Go ahead, Ramet—" he leans forward "—Renew her Energy."

He's calling our bluff. This needs to be more convincing. I struggle against my captor, it's what Haroc will expect. Ramet's hand tightens around my hair, she yanks my head back. The blade still rests against my neck, my head darts to the side and I bite her arm. Hard. My teeth sink into Ramet's scarred flesh. She screams and strikes me on the temple with the hilt of the blade. Dizziness, nausea, they engulf me, and I release Ramet's arm.

I watch as the blade curves towards my throat in slow motion. I hope she knows what I'm doing, I hope she's playing along. The knife presses harder against my neck, it breaks the seal on my flesh. Blood seeps from the cut and trickles lazily down my skin.

"Do you think I won't do it?" Ramet shouts, she spits the words with contempt. "I covered myself in scars for Cantral. I refused command of my own ship. I was content living in her shadow, being her Second and she chose Jaxa!" The knife delves deeper into my flesh, the lazy trickle becomes a stream.

"Wait!" Haroc's voice cracks. Just a little. And how could he not believe Ramet, when she spoke the truth?

Ramet holds the knife still between my parted flesh.

"If you come to Oneera, alone in just a shuttle, I give the Universe my word Cantral's life will be spared," Fendan says.

"You wish to take my place." Haroc remains composed, he speaks to Fendan, but his eyes do not leave me.

"Yes—"

Haroc snorts a laugh. "You will fail. I will make you whimper like you did when you lost your fingers. I will make you cry, you will live to be triple your age and each day you will suffer." He looks past Fendan and stares at Ramet. "And you girl, you will recall your Trials as pleasant memories when I am eventually done with you ... but if you return to Prime, with Cantral alive, I will give you a quick death."

"Haroc, you almost had me worried," Ramet mocks. "A whisper travels across the universe, it's sung in my ears many a time, do you want to know what it says?" she pauses as if she expects an answer from Haroc, but none comes. "Haroc the once brave, Haroc the coward," she speaks in a cheery voice, as if reciting a favourite poem, "if he can, he will, he'll spend all his time, in Prime. He huddles in corners, he shouts orders from his office, he lives off Fendan's glory, and tells it as his own story—"

Haroc roars, he stands and lunges forward, his fist meets the screen and contact crackles away.

"Rude." Ramet sighs. "I had at least another verse."

"Uncuff me." I stand and glare at Ramet.

Ramet steps around me and releases my hands. "What's wrong with you?"