Chapter 27: The One With The Phone Call

Start from the beginning

I hate salmon.

I am obviously crazy.

Hey, it's not fair to me to be put in a hot seat of important decisions! Especially with Areeb's mom staring adoringly at me the whole time. Ugh. Awkward!

We're also having almost daily Dholki sessions at our place.

This usually includes a bunch of my cousins,and girlfriends practicing for the Grand Dholki event we have scheduled before the wedding day.

I steadfastly refused to have a Mehndi/Mayoon tradition, because It's really not culturally authentic for us, and also because I hate the smell of Henna that is generally pretty much wiped all over the bride during the silly tradition.

So the grand dholki will have a whole lot of dancing, and singing to traditional wedding songs. We have also scheduled a Music War against Adiba and Areeb's cousins. It's fun listening to my girls planning strategies, and lyrics to win this thing. The more noise they manage to make, equates to victory; so they are practicing at the top of their lungs. I usually sit in the center and play the traditional drum Dhol because I love banging on it. Nobody can dare question the craziness of a Dulhan playing drums for her own dholki.

Kulsoom Nani has descended upon us too. Again. She usually presides over the song and dance practices, barking out criticisms, and correcting lyrics.

"You GIRL, you're not clapping in tempo!"

"Tania, stop fiddling with your hair during that last dance step! Nobody will be looking at you!"

"It is KOLAPOORI Dee....Not KOLAVERI Dee!"

The girls have given up trying to argue over lyrics anymore.

My house is swarming with guests from out of town. A few of them checked into guest-houses, while the majority of them wanted to be part of the wedding festivities from ground zero: AKA my house.

I can't go two feet without bumping into someone who wants tea, or towels, or shampoo, or my first born child probably. AT this point, EMV was willing to hand over a future baby, just to get out of making Chai (Tea).

Marium Auntie had been reluctant, but Rania pleaded and cried to let herself be a part of our dholkis. Most days, she manages to come over, and then watches the loud, raucous singing and dancing with wide-eyed fascination. My cousins have been wonderful with her. They don't let her feel left out at all, and always manage to involve her in the fun.

She misses Shehzer a lot. Everytime his name comes up, something inside me shrinks, and squeezes my heart. I miss him too. It seems like forever since he walked away.

Tonight, Rania is having too much fun to think about leaving. One of my teen-aged cousins from out of town, Saad, has informed us twice that Rania's Mom is calling her. During his third trip, he is annoyed. Apparently, Rania is being summoned urgently.

I manage to persuade my little kitten to go home. When I go to see her to the door, I'm shocked to see Shehzer standing at the doorway.

I stammer a salam, and he softly replies.

Awkward silence ensues.

"Uh...How was Lahore?" I say casually.

"Hot." He says briefly.

"Um...Shehzer, I just wanted to say Thank you, for the amazing gift. I love it. It's the first thing I see when I wake up."

His face twists into a reluctant smile. My breath hitches at the beauty of it. This man can kill with that smile.

"Glad you liked it...How's your fiance?"

This abrupt change of subject made my heart sink. It was like he was trying to remind me of my treachery. Or maybe he was reminding himself.

"He- uh...He is good. Traveling. Uh..I mean he's traveling at the moment....Spain I think. Or maybe it was Greece..." I blush at my awkwardness. I actually don't know where Areeb is right now.

EMV sneers; '...Aaaand the winner of this year's Fiancee of the year award is....'

Before I could make further cake out of myself; my phone rings.

Areeb's name is flashing on the screen. It might as well be a a neon sign, in the dim entrance area.

Shehzer takes hold of Rania's hand, and smiles humorlessly;

"Looks like he's home now. Have fun." He says dryly before leaving.

The goodbye stuck in my throat never made it out.

I slide the receive button to attend the call.

"Minnie..." His voice sounds desperate, rough, and ragged with pain.

My heart jumps into my throat.

"Areeb?? Wha..? what's wrong?"

"Minnie...I...I..Hate myself..." He is sobbing. "You're going to hate me too..."

"What are you talking about? You're scaring me!!"

"Minnie...I fucked up...I did. I hate myself for it....But I fucked up!" He is hoarse with anguish.

"Areeb! WHAT HAPPENED?" I nearly scream with frustration. i'm shaking so badly, I don't think I even have it in me to hear what he is about to say.

Then I hear the dial-tone.

He hung up on me.

A/N:

Thank You for the votes and the support, and the constant onslaught of hilarious comments! :D

Sometimes, I am motivated to do crazy stuff to my characters, just to see your reactions. LOL.

As usual, Do lemme know what you guys make of the developments!

XO