"Strong and healthy."

"That's exactly how you should feel." Tess rubbed the hand she had been holding. I only feel this way because he's family. "Are you ready to train?"

He nodded his head. "Yes."

"Okay, let's go." After Alexei was hugged by the rest of the family, Tess led him out to the field. It was a bitter, cold night and the wind howled loud. It was the best time to train him because no one would hear them. "We're going to start with sparring."

"What do you mean?"

"Fighting." Tess clarified. "You need to learn to fight in case you ever need to. More importantly, you need to learn to control your strength in case you need to fight a human and don't need to or want to kill them."

Alexei hated the thought of harming anyone, especially Tess. He had had feelings for her for a while now. "Have you ever killed a human?"

"No, and I don't plan to. Sybille's and Lisette's ability to manipulate memories and thoughts often comes in handy and makes it so I don't have to. Like with the guards that night." Alexei winced having to think of his parents' deaths. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have brought it up."

"It's fine." He reassured her. "I don't ever want to forget it; if I do, then I forget them."

"I understand, somewhat." Tess told him. "I haven't seen my parents in almost four hundred years. It feels like they're dead sometimes. I lose faith that I'll see them again."

"I'll never see my parents again." Alexei said sadly. "I lost that chance when I decided to become a Vampire."

"You could still die you know; you still have a chance at seeing them again."

He shook his head. "If I ever die, no God would let a Vampire into heaven."

Tess rubbed his shoulder, wanting to comfort him. "I don't believe that's true. As long as you are a good person, then God would accept you." Alexei smiled at her. "Now, it's time to begin." Tess moved a few feet away. "Since you haven't mastered your speed yet, I'll run to you. Try to limit how much strength you use, but don't be worried about hurting me. I heal easily. Also, try not to use your fangs, those hurts like hell."

"Alright."

Tess broke into a run and tried to punch Alexei, but his reflexes were too quick. He grabbed her and held her by the neck. She kicked him in the groin, and he let go. "That's good. It didn't hurt too bad."

Alexei hated the thought of hurting her even a little. "I can't do this anymore."

"What? Why not?"

"I can't hurt you; I don't want to hurt the woman I'm falling in love with."

Tess stood there, floored, blinking at him as the words sank in. Then, she blushed. "I didn't know that."

"Of course not; I never told you." Alexei walked slowly towards her. "You don't have to reciprocate, in any way. Just know this, I will always care for you. Platonically and romantically. I will forever have you in my heart."

He stopped just in front of her. Suddenly, Tess realized what she had been denying a long time; she cared for him as well. But since she had known him since he was a child, her mind refused to accept it. "I...I..." Without a thought, she kissed him passionately before placing their foreheads together. "I don't know how much I care for you yet, but I know that I do."

Alexei placed his arms around her waist, and she wrapped her arms around his neck. "That is enough for me."

They kissed a few times more before Tess convinced him to keep fighting. They spent the entire night sparring before going inside. Tess wasn't ready for a relationship yet, as she wanted to sort out her feelings first, but she knew that soon she would succumb to her own desires and be with him.

------

August 1936

Ruth Levitt had passed away in January. As the family was preparing to leave the country, they sold the land and house to Leo who was now raising George on his own. Neither Ruth nor Leo had ever been to The Farm and so, it was easy for Sybille to masquerade as a war widow to sell them the land. She claimed she had gotten it as compensation for the death of her husband.

The family had spent the last ten years just farming and living. It had been a peaceful life, a nice respite before the dangers they were about to face. Tess had finally sorted out her feelings and had now been with Alexei for eight years. They had not been intimate yet as the house was too small, and they didn't want the family to hear them.

On board a ship bound for Amsterdam, the family mentally prepared for the war that was coming.