41 ⇾ a twist of events

Start from the beginning

"Are you cold?" I ask.

"What gave it away?" She chuckles.

Okay...at least she's not being awkward.

She takes off her boots revealing bright pink fuzzy socks.

I like to keep my bedroom pretty cold so she's probably not enjoying this.

"Do you want a blanket?" I ask.

"Yes please."

I quickly walk into my closet and pull out a giant dark blue blanket my parents got me for Christmas a few years ago.

I hand it to her before taking a seat on the floor again.

"Ready to actually finish this time?" I ask.

She doesn't reply, just nods.

Okay...this is gonna be a long afternoon.

It's my fault though, I'm the one who made it awkward by asking her in the first place.

She grabs the poster board and marker and we start working...in silence.

Great.

I fucking hate this!

I'm by far the most talkative person I've ever met, staying quiet is not my thing.

"So...how has your day been?" I ask, trying to start some sort of conversation.

"Good. How was yours?"

"Good."

And back to silence.

20 fucking minutes of NOTHING!

"Okay, I can't take this! Are we gonna talk about the elephant in the room?" I blurt.

"You tell me." She shrugs.

Why is she acting as if nothing happened?

I know she felt what I felt.

I could tell by the way she was breathing and how she couldn't look me in the eyes.

"I'm sorry Jules, I never meant to put you on the spot like that...I don't know what I was thinking." I mumble.

"I can't be mad at you, I couldn't even get myself to say I didn't like you."

"You said it just now."

"I wasn't looking at you."

Something about the way she can willingly tell me she likes me makes my heart want to burst out of my chest.

"But...I refuse to hurt Rowan. He's been nothing but great to me and knowing that I have feelings for two guys is so fucked up!" She groans.

"I know, I get it. Which is why I understand if you don't want to hang out with me anymore."

"I never said that." She chuckles.

"But- but you just said-"

"Look, I just got back from lunch with Rowan. We talked about a lot of things and I told him the truth. I don't want to lie to him if he's never lied to me. I told him I'm unsure of my feelings and that I don't want to continue leading him on if my heart isn't 100% invested in our relationship." She says.

I feel my throat close.

"I didn't mention your name." She says quickly.

She doesn't have to, it doesn't take a fucking genius to realize it's me she's talking about.

Note to self: stay aware of your surroundings tomorrow

He's gonna kill me or send his entire team to kill me.