9 | zealotic

🏁
◢◤◢◤◢◤ Circuit 9 ◢◤◢◤◢◤

🏁◢◤◢◤◢◤          Circuit 9          ◢◤◢◤◢◤

"What are you doing here?"

My voice came out harsher than I intended and the clear indignation on my face was an affirmation of that.

"I was just visiting Grandpa and thought I'd stop by to see you." Her long, straight hair flowed down her exposed neckline as she stood in front of me clutching her shoulder bag.

My jaw tightened, and the first thing I noticed on her petite face was the tiny spots that adorned her cheeks and button nose underneath all the layers of powder and cosmetics. She used to despise it and cover it up with makeup, but I always thought they were pretty.

That was before. And things aren't the same between us anymore.

My conscience is clear; hers isn't.

Elle has completely changed from the girl I grew up with and got to know over the years. The one in front of me is unrecognizable and has shed from being the sweet, kind, and warm-hearted person I trusted.

"I don't want to see you," I proceeded in the direction of the parking lot, not wanting to stay there any longer. Usually, I would stop by the lockers and check with Russell and Kade, but knowing Elle won't leave me alone, I quicken my pace to reach my car in record time.

"Theo, please, I drove all the way here to see you. At least talk to me." She calls out behind me, breathlessly.

I ignore her words and press the remote around my knuckles to unlock my car. I can hear Elle struggling to keep up as the annoying sound of her heels hitting against the pavement doesn't stop until she yells my name to prevent me from advancing.

Not liking the fact that we are out in the open where anyone can see, I grow flustered and stop in front of my door. I shut my lids and exhale a deep breath, running a hand through my hair full of dried sweat.

I drop my shoulders and turn to her. "Why can't you understand, I don't want to see you, Elle. There's no reason for us to be having this conversation. I've made it clear, I —"

"Yes, I know- you don't want to see my face after what I've done. Blah, blah, blah..." She utters. "But please, hear me out," she begs without much sincerity in her eyes. I don't know what to believe anymore. The words coming out of her mouth could be lies and I'm just falling into the same trap again.

I stared at her blankly, "Yeah, sure. Go ahead, it's not like it'll make a difference." I flatly mumbled, reciprocating her energy and trying my best to ignore the slight pang in my chest whenever I look at her and get reminded of her betrayal. How easy it was for her to manipulate me and feed lies like I didn't deserve to know the things she was doing behind my back.

"You can't possibly cut me out of your life forever, Theo." She says it so casually as if she didn't cause me to pain with her actions.

I don't dare to break eye contact with her, wanting her to realize she no longer affects me like she used to with her presence. That she is nothing to me but a mere individual passing through a phase of my life where I was blinded by promises and sweet nothings. The younger version of me wouldn't have imagined a life without his best friend. That the same person he thought he would love and cherish for the rest of his life will be the one to inflict him with so much pain.