the newly created fate

Percy knew he probably should have expected something to happen sooner or later. He was just hoping for later. Not right after he’d started college finally. Not when he was getting settled into New Rome and being looked at with respect instead of disgust because of who his father is. But he should have known better. Every time he starts to settle into a new routine and his life feels like it’s finally on track, things go wrong. 

He stood on the hillside, surrounded by monsters, knowing he’d never make it back to the protection of New Rome’s hidden wards. Echidna was in front with two chimera’s at her side. There were even telkhines and harpies and the Minotaur. He could take most of them out, he was sure, but these were fairly powerful monsters in their own right. All he had was his skateboard and his sword. His groceries were scattered all around as he’d had to drop them to try and get some distance between him and them.

“Why are you doing this?” Percy asked, his voice strong and angry.

“My Lord Zeus commands it.” Echidna replied, looking at him with greedy eyes. “And you got away from me too easily all those years ago. I deserve to see what you can do without the safety of your father’s element so close at hand to protect you.”

“Zeus? But, why would he-”

“Because you are a pest, Perseus Jackson. You are too powerful for a demigod child, let alone one of the sea brood. Better for you to die here, now, than to grow older and more powerful.” She hissed.

“Then you better be prepared for a fight, lady. I didn’t survive Tartarus and Giants  and the freaking Earth Mother to be taken down by some low-rate monster that only does what they're told by a prick in the sky.” Percy growled. 

He swung Riptide and took out three harpies and blocked a blow from the Minotaur. He swiped his leg out and the beast fell to the ground on his back, but one of the chimera’s charged, and he had to keep his eyes on the fire-breathing maw and the venomous tail. His newest shield dented quickly when the other chimera swiped a paw at him and he barely blocked it. He shouted as he kicked out at one chimera, stepping off it’s head and flipping in the air, landing behind the telkhines, vaporizing them in an instant.

“Zeus!” Percy yelled, swinging at Echidna, who dodged him and flicked a dagger toward him. “When I get out of this, I swear to the gods, you’ll regret it!” 

He ducked under a column of flame from the chimera’s and rolled, coming up to his feet directly beside the Minotaur. He swung his sword again, but his arm became trapped in a weird chain. Celestial bronze. Just like the ones that had trapped Artemis all those years ago when they’d fought Atlas. He pulled and the Minotaur stumbled forward into Riptide and he disintegrated quickly. But the remaining telkhines had grabbed the chains once more and pulled them tight, pinning his arms to his sides. He struggled and pulled, kicking anything that came within reach, but they only tightened the chains until he was forced to his knees, breathing heavily. 

“I’ll regret nothing, Perseus Jackson. You are a menace. A threat! And I will not have you free to roam the land on your whims.” Zeus stated calmly as he appeared before him. Percy struggled harder when Zeus finally showed his face. 

“I’ve done nothing wrong!” Percy yelled, twisting his hands to try and use his sword on the chains. 

“You exist! That in itself is wrong! I thought these monsters were up to the task of killing you, but it seems I was mistaken. As it is, I cannot harm you without drawing Poseidon’s wrath. So I won’t harm you. But I will imprison you as I did the Titans who first opposed us in the first war against the Giants. Once you’ve been forgotten, I’ll reconsider your sentence. Should only take a hundred years or so.”

“I’m mortal. I won’t live through a hundred year sentence.” Percy growled, feeling the chains start to dig into his skin.

“Then I suppose I’ll have to make you immortal. Even temporarily.” Zeus shouted, thunder echoing in the sky.

“No! No, I refuse!” Percy twisted more and tried to free himself, but the chains began cutting into his skin and drawing blood. 

“You have no choice in the matter. Echidna, your chimera’s will stand guard, as will these remaining creatures. You can recruit who you wish to keep him hidden.”

“Do you really think you’ll be forgiven for this, Lord Zeus?” Percy asked, chuckling darkly. He felt it as his blood began to change to ichor and suddenly he could see what was going to happen. “When your ploy is discovered, they will turn on you. The gods, demi-gods, and other immortals. You will be cast down from your throne in shame to wander the earth as one the mere mortals. Romans and Greeks will unite in their fury and raise the new god to stand above you. A new pantheon spanning both realms. And you, Zeus, will never regain the title of God-King.” Percy gasped as the words spilled out of him.

“You are not prophetic.” Zeus growled, leaning down to look Percy in the eyes, but Percy couldn’t focus on the god in front of him. Could only see the path that was being laid out. This new fate that presented itself.

“I see the road ahead. The newly created fate. You tested my loyalty time and time again, and I never wavered. Demi-gods will raise my name, will sing my praises and build temples and shrines; while yours will lie forgotten and left to ruin. Your own children will shun you for the path you’ve taken. And I will be there to bear witness. Do you love them, Zeus? Your children?”

“Of course I love them.” Zeus scoffed, but Percy’s gaze bore into him and he saw the lie in his eyes.

“Don’t lie to me.” Percy said in a low, dangerous voice. “You do not understand love, you never have. You only understand duty and service. Even there, you have failed epically. Your duty was to lead Olympus. But you ignore sound counsel, as your father did before you.” 

Zeus snapped his fingers and the monsters and Percy were in some sort of cave that had bars at the entrance. Celestial bronze bars. His chains remained tight and hooked into the walls, keeping him immobile. Echidna directed the monsters, placing them outside the bars to stand guard. 

“I am not my father. He was arrogant, thinking he could prevent our rise, but he only delayed it. There have not been new gods in millenia, and there will not be any more to come.” Zeus stated, locking the cell door, putting the key around his neck.

“You’ve been warned, so-called God-King. The fates are no longer with you, and prophecy is against you. I will be free, one day. And you will fall. Hide me while you can, but know the reckoning will be swift and unyielding. So say I.” Percy felt his energy wane as the words left him, and the rocks around shifted, as if the very ground knew the truth in them.

“You’ll find no peace, Perseus Jackson. Not so long as I reign.”

“Then enjoy it while you can, my lord. For your time will end.” 

Zeus glowered at him once more before flashing himself away. Percy hung his head against his chest. He didn’t know where the words came from, but they flowed out of him. Zeus may not understand love, but Percy did. And he would hold onto the love of his friends and family to get him through this. Whether it was one year or one century. He would focus on those memories until he was freed. Then Zeus would feel the wrath and destruction the name Perseus invoked.