9.

"Do you guys think... We should give the kids that sleeping medicine?"

Kim looked over to Agatha and Matthew.

Matthew was nodding his head enthusiastically, but Agatha shook hers with a strong no.

Agatha took in her mother's confused and unsure look and turned to face Matthew. It boiled her blood to think Matthew was so willing to drug their children. "You just want them to be asleep so you don't have to explain..." She trailed off and gave her mother a sideways look.

They had received word that the Reptilians were slowly making their way to them and they had been given a tentative time of docking and boarding the rescue ship. They would be sent another signal around thirty minutes before the Reptilians were ready, so they could get their stuff secure and be seated.

It had been the beginning of the six-hour wait when Agatha had pulled Matthew aside.

"What are you going to do?" She whispered exhaustedly.

Matthew shrugged. "I dunno."

Agatha wiped the hair from her eyes and pushed back her glasses. Her head felt like it was about to explode and sparks covered her vision. Her blood pressure must've spiked, once again, as Matthew looked at her like she was stupid.

"I said, I don't know Agatha." Matthew clicked his teeth. "It doesn't fucking matter, does it?"

"Yes, Matthew, it does matter." Agatha narrowed her eyes at him. She bit the side of her lip. She slapped her thigh and pointed to the stairs. "You think Max and Emily aren't going to notice you're gone? You really think that you can just slink off and not one person is going to notice that suddenly my husband has disappeared?"

Matthew had told her the day prior he wasn't going to be rooming with her family on the Reptilian ship. He was going to ask for separate boarding as soon as he saw the opportunity. He couldn't stand her family and wanted nothing more to do with them.

"If it wasn't for my family, you would be dead. Your children would be dead."

Matthew scoffed. "All of my people back home are dead." He shrugged. "What would have been one, three, seven more?"

Agatha huffed. "Your mother died years ago and your dad left when you were three.... You never spoke to any of your cousins and your drinking buddies..." Agatha shook her head. "You should value your children's lives over theirs. I mean seriously Matt, if your kids were hanging over a cliff and so were your friends, I'd think you run for your buddies."

Matthew clapped his hands together. "That's what she said you'd say." He shook his head, laughing. "She's right about you Agatha."

"What?"

"You dismiss me and none of what I feel matters. I connect more with my friends. I can do more with my friends. I'm supposed to just pick my kids over them? Why? Give me one valid reason why I should save the kids instead of my friends?" Matthew looked at her, still chuckling. He shook a finger at her. "I bet you can't. More kids can be made, but more friends... Friends like them..." He trailed off shaking his head.

Agatha stared at him in disbelief.

"As soon as we get to the ship, I think I'm going to just take off." He swiped his hand in the air. "I'm done with you, with those kids, and with all of your people."

Now, as they readied themselves to be saved, once again, by the Reptilians; Matthew looked a little worried. Not regretful, but definitely unsure.

Agatha half expected him to drop to his knees and beg for her forgiveness, but as the minutes passed by extremely quickly, he did not. She would have taken him back, this she knew. Not because she just loved him with all of her heart, but because she was terrified. The final moments in their safe little rocket ship were almost over, they wouldn't be on the Reptilian's ship too long, and then they would be dropped off on their new home of Satumi.