Chapter 7

The days went strangely fast when you spent them sorting books in a never-ending library. I'd made a good routine for myself where I arrive by the estate at 8am, begins my day by starting the coffee machine to make some coffee for both me and Reed since I realized how he always starts his days with coffee.

Then my first period with writing down books in the register and placing them back on their shelves begins. I've already cleaned up the heavy mess which by the way didn't take too long. As soon as all the broken furniture and dirt was gone I could focus fully on the books.

Reed comes by and says hello or mostly stare me down like the odd fellow he is, if we didn't meet in the kitchen or hallway. Around 10am I take a short break, reading on the balcony or maybe scrolling thru my phone.

At lunch I head down to the kitchen to heat up some food or cook something incredibly simple. I'm not directly a good chef, even if I'm eager at times to try and cook something fun.

Once again, I make coffee for my slave driver who comes to the kitchen, take the coffee, and leave. It feels like he want to stay away from me as much as he can while also wanting to stay strangely close at times.

Either he's annoyed with me, cranky and a boring twat. Or kind of settled, curious but withdrawn. It feels as if he might be of that people-shy kind, which in itself isn't strange when you grew up in a ghost castle with a silver spoon in your mouth. A whole box of them!

Then living all alone when your siblings moved out... It must make you shy. And the thought makes me smile, how this sassy twat to governing man could be shy. But my own conclusion is how he mostly gets tired of my sassiness.

Because after a while I realized how incredibly boring it was to just be stiff and awkward together with Reed. And I turned to my humour, feeling the need to turn this boring man funny. I tried to joke with him more, tease him and do whatever I could to make that grumpy man smile. Mostly, he just glared back at me, but it was just as fun!

The afternoons are mostly spent continuing registering and placing books on the shelves after I dust them off and register them in the computer. I take a slightly longer break around 4pm, taking a stroll in the park since Reed didn't want me to go to the forest. And it irritates me. Because I had liked it so much that time I went there, and it filled me with such joy. The forest gave me energy, like a huge garden close to my prison.

This day it had stormed really hard when I went here, and it was a struggle driving. Reed texted me how he could come and get me, but then I was already on my way. I arrived almost twenty minutes late though and threw myself in thru the door just as Reed was on his way out, seemingly worried when he saw me.

"Are you okay?!"

"I survived! I'm alive!" I had burst with a grin, panting slightly.

"You should have taken it slow or turned back so I,"

"I did take it slow and therefore I'm late."

"You shouldn't have been hurrying here."

"Fuck what a storm! Though the sun is shining which is good. I heard it would rain later."

"It should blow all day but ease in the evening. So, you must not go out during the day."

"What? Why?!"

"The risk of fallen trees is great."

"But in the park,"

"You stay inside!"

"I stay inside!"

I don't know how, but Reed has an extremely strong ability to get what he wants. He makes me do what he wants with just a few words, a change in his tone. It happens at regular intervals, and he reacts either with a smug smile or an apologetic look. As if he's proud or ashamed, that fucker.