Chapter 5

To slave for a rich twat to pay off a debt that isn't really mine from the beginning may seem crazy. But something that might seem even weirder is to like it.

Now there are parts of my whole new life situation that maybe isn't all beer and skittles. To work hard without pay for example. Or how my new slave driver, despite his beautiful appearance and good smell, is an odd fellow of a twat.

But I found myself enjoying not having an annoying boss who hover over me like a hawk, watching every mistake I happened to make to point them out. Reed isn't bossy that way even if he likes to hover over me for his own strange and incomprehensible reasons.

Now I have the freedom to plan my workdays myself. I can organize, clean and sort at my own pace. For the only one who suffers if I take it easy one day, am myself. I must work off the debt and the library are huge.

But there is something certain about coming to Hookhill's estate and knowing that my day would look the same as the day before, how I could work within a safe environment and avoid nagging about how I am such a failure. And how I wouldn't risk to hurt anybody else.

Don't get me wrong though. These past weeks under Reed hasn't only been a walk in the park. Reed may not be a derogatory boss like my previous bosses, like Mr. Petersen. But he's so incredibly overbearing, unnecessarily overprotective and thinks he can just control and do as he please!

I may be his slave... okay just there, he hates when I call myself his slave! But I am because I work without pay. Anyway, he thinks he can rule over me however he wants.

Already on my second day here he scolded me for bringing my own lunch. OWN LUNCH! He nagged on me how he had told me how I didn't need to bring food. He wanted me to eat HIS food, as if it were better because he's rich and can buy better ingredients. But hey, a heated pan pizza at least satisfies me.

Another thing is how Reed doesn't like when I curse, which may be logical since he grew up in the upper class where even a fart is considered a curse.

And he doesn't let me drive through the woods! He doesn't understand what that gas costs me! I've been able to help Mrs. Smith several times to afford the fuel. And I had some left from my mother's magazines. But the long detour home costs me both more money and takes precious time from me. Time I could spend on other things.

Mike moved in with me last week and it has made things a bit better. He helps me buy food and he has paid for me the few times I've been able to accompany him in fun activities.

Because I must admit, I'm tired in the evenings when I get home. And on the weekends I mostly want to chill or meet my family.

But if I'm to continue to drive that far roundabout and still do what I love on the weekends, I must get another income, or an income. Maybe a parttime job would be something?

For the most part, Reed stays locked up in his office during the day. I see him briefly and once we meet; he examines me with that scrutinizing look of his. It's like he observes my very move.

I first thought he kept his distance out of dismay, but he mostly seems puzzled. Despite his extremely handsome, good-looking, and almost intimidatingly proud demeanour, I must dare to say that he sometimes appears paranoid but tries not to show it.

One day when I was crawling around on the floor to collect some sheets that had fallen out of a book and he came into the library, he shouted after me in what seemed like worry, as if I were gone.

When he saw me, he tried to gather and pretend like nothing, saying that there was lunch prepared. Did he think I had bailed? I dunno. If so, he would easily find me and put charges against me.