"There's nothing wrong with the defensive, but like all parts of hand-to-hand combat, it must be done well to be effective."

Maybe Tommy is magic, but one of the students finally raises their hand. Unfortunately, I notice that he's from the same group of troublemakers at the back. I cast a quick side-glance at Tommy knowing full well what kind of attitude this boy would dish out. 

"Go ahead," I say. The kid's friends are already snickering. 

"How does a random avian know so much about fighting? All you Querencians do is farm!"

A scowl covers my features as the class bursts into laughter. Sometimes I really want to choke the little shits, more so, I want to choke their parents for raising them this way. 

I open my mouth to scold all of them for their rudeness, but Tommy sets a hand on my shoulder. Despite their blatant disrespect, his eyes sparkled with a challenge. Of course, this didn't ruffle his feathers, Tommy's got too much ego for that. He silently asks if he can handle this one, looking at me with sparkling blue eyes, and though I don't want any more chaos for the afternoon, I give in to his request. 

Taking my hand off Henry's shoulder, I whip out the training sabre I had sheathed on my waist. I swiftly tap it twice on the hardwood floor. The loud bangs echo off the walls menacingly and the class turns dead silent. Flashes of fear touch their faces when they see my disapproving expression. If elytrian kids were one thing, they were overly submissive to authority, and a bad grade to an elytrian parent is synonymous with being expelled. 

Tommy clears his throat, his usual cocky grin taking over his face. "It's true, avians do a lot of farming, and without us you guys wouldn't have pumpkins or cherries. But we're useful in a fight too. Avians have trained in hand-to-hand combat for generations."

"Prove it!" a voice yells from the back. 

I swear to fucking god I'm gonna- Tommy sets his hand on my shoulder again to stop me from turning into a screeching banshee. 

"Ok," I look at him astonished as he shrugs off the request. Then I see the cheeky glint in his eye.

"But..." he starts, turning back to the class. "Only if the lovely Miss Craftier will join me." 

Tommy why? I immediately start to blush. In front of my class?! I have a reputation to uphold! Much to my dismay, the entire class is in on it now. They egg me on "Come on, Miss!" Their voices overlap as they try to convince me. 

I sigh, turning to Tommy. He offers no help, just a stupid grin and I know I'm not getting out of this one. I surrender to the smile that had been tugging at my lips. Besides, how can I turn down a chance to show off in front of my class?

"Alright," I say and the class erupts in cheers. I look down at Henry and Jess who are staring at me already bursting with excitement. "You two can sit down now."

The two of them take a seat right in the front, causing some others so complain, and Tommy and I get ready. I set my clipboard and training sabre down away from the combat mat. Tommy takes off his bomber and the goggles he had on his head, leaving him in his beige cargo pants and favourite red and white shirt. 

"As fun as this is," I turn to the class with a stern tone. "Make sure you're all watching so you can see how part B of your exams are going to work."

I have to make this educational somehow. On the other side of the mat, Tommy chuckles at me and I shoot him a glare. He always says he'll never get used to seeing me as a professor despite the fact that he's been interrupting classes for two whole years. As I tie my hair back into a ponytail, Tommy rolls up his sleeves, revealing his lean muscles. The kids are quick to start making bets in hushed voices. I can't help but smile when I hear my name whispered broadly between my students. It's nice knowing that they look up to me in some way.