Chapter 16: Aftermath and Into the Sea

Mulai dari awal

"Tikki, help me, I think I might faint," Marinette breathed, putting a hand to her chest.

"That's what it's like to be in love," Tikki told her, hopping on the blanket next to Plagg.

"What? So I'm going to feel faint all the time?" Marinette groaned. "I want to be able to act normally around him, Tikki!"

"And you will," Tikki assured her. "You're both still new to this, so it's going to take some time. But don't worry, things'll be fine, I promise."

"They better be," she sighed. "I can't believe how lucky I am. Have you ever been in love, Tikki?"
"Kwamis don't fall in love."

"Really?" Marinette looked between her and Plagg. "Never? What about you and Plagg, then?"

Tikki stuck out her tongue. "Me and Stinky Sock? I don't think so."

"Even with my irresistible charm?" Plagg teased, swishing his tail.

"Even so," Tikki replied flatly.

Marinette laughed. "Okay, if you say so, Tikki. Come on, we should finish packing."

"Adrien, how are you feeling?" Gabriel asked once his son had entered the room.

"I'm great!" Adrien gave a wide smile. "Are you and Nathalie okay?"

"I'm alright. I can't exactly speak for Nathalie, though," Gabriel replied with a sigh.

Worry overtook his son's features. "Oh no, what happened, Dad?"

Inwardly, Gabriel once again smiled at the word "dad". But he was reminded of the gravity of the situation. "I don't know much, but her nightmare involved her with the two of us. Apparently we told her that . . . we don't care about her."

"Does she actually think that?" Adrien cried. "I'm going to go tell her-"

"Hold on." Gabriel stopped his son from leaving, putting a hand on his shoulder. "I already spoke with her. She seems alright for now and I don't want to bother her."

Adrien sighed in exasperation. "But you know Nathalie, Dad. She says she's okay even when she's not."

"I do know that. But I also want to give her some space."

"Fine," Adrien groaned.

"On a more positive note, I noticed how happy you were when you came in this morning. Did something happen?"

"Oh, uh," his son stammered, rubbing the back of his head as his cheeks reddened. "So, about that . . ."

"Did Miss Dupain-Cheng finally confess her feelings to you?"

"What? How did you know?"

"It was rather obvious, son," Gabriel replied with a straight face.

"Was I the only one who didn't know?"

"It would seem that way."

Adrien sat on the bed, pinching the bridge of his nose, reminding Gabriel of himself. "Well, I know now and that's all that matters."

"Based on your reaction, I assume you feel the same way about her?"

"Uh, I guess so?" his son squeaked.

"I trust you to make the right decisions, Adrien. I have raised you to be a proper gentleman and I expect you to act accordingly."

"Wha-Dad, seriously?" Adrien buried his face in his hands. "Why are we talking about this now?"
"It has to be done sometime."