It Could Have Been A Happy Ending

Start from the beginning

It was sweet and touching how Thor moved to sit on his lap and just stayed there quietly. It felt like Thor understood his words or maybe he felt how sad he was that day.

Jinwoo stared at the blank television. He wasn't up for any drama at the moment. He wasn't really up for anything. He just wanted to... To what? He sighed, not knowing what he really wanted to do.

He leaned on the couch and closed his eyes. A few minutes later, he fell deep into the dreamland. At night, he cannot sleep, thinking of a lot of what ifs... wanting to understand things, to forgive himself for taking too much time, to forgive Mino for not being patient enough.

It was during the day when both his body and mind are too exhausted to be awake. Thor watched him as he slept and stayed some more before jumping off the couch. He heard a new guest coming in.

***

It could have been a happy ending.

"Well, he is happy."

"But how about you?"

Jinwoo was in the studio with Seungyoon. He was accompanying and helping their leader in polishing his new compositions. Seungyoon always wanted him to have the first listen to his music and tell his insights before he let others else hear them.

It took Jinwoo some moments before he answered, "He wasn't happy before so..."

Seungyoon clenched his fist. "You have to stop doing this, hyung. It's not your fault why Mino looked for someone else. It was his and he was a fool for doing so but it just goes to show how his love for you is..." He stopped there, not knowing how to properly end his statement.

Jinwoo stood up. "I'll go home."

Seungyoon held his arm. "Hyung."

"I'm fine, Seungyoon-ah."

"No, you're not."

"Then I'll be. And don't say I won't."

***

It could have been a happy ending.

Jinwoo entered their dorm and saw him, the person who's making Mino happy now. He smiled at him and told him he didn't know he'd be there.

The artist said he went there to surprise Mino and that he hoped Jinwoo doesn't mind. Jinwoo didn't say anything about it, he only smiled again and walked to his room but before he can hold his door, the artist spoke again.

"Mino doesn't love me. But I think he needs me, and I'll be here as long as he does."

Jinwoo turned back to him. "Why are you saying this to me?"

"Because he loves you."

His heart, long dead, felt like it resurrected. It starting beating loud, fast, very alive. "I don't know what you're talking about." It was forced, the way he let those words out his lips. The thing is he wanted to believe what he heard, but he didn't want to admit that even to himself.

"Tell me to leave, Kim Jinwoo."

Jinwoo's eyes widened. It wasn't the response he was expecting, and what? "What?"

"Tell me I'm not needed here. Tell me he won't be needing me anymore because you'd be there for him. Tell me I have no place here because he loves you and you love him too. Fight. You have to fight too, especially when the other person's too tired of doing that."

His heart, which just came back to being alive, felt a sharp stab. He looked at the artist in his eyes. "Why are you doing this?"

"Do you really have to ask those nonsense questions right now? If you'd keep on being like this then I swear, I won't ever give you anymore chance to take Mino back. I'll do what you should have done. I will make him the happiest man."

So the truth is that Mino was not in the dorm and that Jinwoo, that night - as usual - didn't get to sleep a wink. He still cannot understand until he realized something. He used to be the artist, and so, he had to make a move quick.

***

It could have been a happy ending.

Mino was about to go out of the dorm when Jinwoo called him. "Where are you going?"

"Somewhere, hyung. I'll be back tonight."

"Don't go."

Mino's eyes widened and then he blinked. "Why?"

"Don't go, Mino-ya." Jinwoo's voice broke.

Alarmed, Mino walked to him. He checked his temperature with the back of his hand. He looked so genuinely worried. "Do you feel sick, hyung?"

Jinwoo nodded. His eyes began pouring tears.

"Where does it hurt? Should I call our manager? Do you want to go to the hospital?"

This time, Jinwoo shook his head. "Don't leave me, Mino. I love you. I'm sorry you had to wait for too long. I'm sorry if it's too late, Mino. I don't want you to leave me. Can you just stay with me? Please?"

"Hyung..."

You have to fight, Jinwoo told himself over and over again. He pulled Mino to him through the collar of his shirt and kissed him. He kissed Mino on the lips, claiming him, telling him how much he wanted him back.

And Mino responded to his kisses with kisses and with the same desire.

And maybe, after all, it is a happy ending for them.