“It was a pleasure to dance with you, King of Kurkans.”

“The pleasure’s all mine, Princess of Estia.” The, she curtsied before him.

“If you’ll excuse me, I’ll go look for my fiancé. Please relax and enjoy yourself at the banquet.” Without waiting for a reply, Lisa turned on her heels and walked away from him, effectively cutting off Jungkook from whatever else he had to say.

She felt like she was running away as she walked at a fast pace.

She had to leave as soon as she could because there was only one thing she could think of she’ll do if she’d stay any longer. She had a feeling he would offer her his help, and had he done so, she would’ve accepted it.

She could feel the stares of the crowd following her from the back of her head as she left. It made her want to disappear, the way their gazes swept over her, like a predator eyeing their prey. She only paused when she finally saw the Countess Jisoo a few steps in front of her.

“Countess…” She began, but trailed off, and the Countess gave her a soft smile, taking her hand gently, leading her away.

“Princess, perhaps you should rest for a while.” She told Lisa, who escorted her to a private resting room. When they were finally in the comfort of the chamber, Lisa found herself collapsing on the long sofa nearest to her. Jisoo proceeded to busy herself by fetching her a glass of water and helped to prop her up to sit comfortably.

Lisa could feel her breathing turn ragged, as black spots appeared in her vision, and Jisoo moved behind her silently, placing a comforting hand on her shoulder, massaging her gently.

“I should loosen your corset.” Jisoo told her, but she was stopped.

“No, no need.” Lisa interrupted, “I need to go see Byun Gyongbaek.”

She had no doubt she had offended Byun Gyongbaek deeply with her accepting Ishakan’s offer to dance. She needed to appease him now, and avoid any other repercussions. Countess Jisoo gave her a pitying look, but Leah only gave her a slight smile.

Despite being called a princess, that’s where her privileges stopped. Lisa was as powerless as any other person in the castle compared to the other royalties. Despite that, she could almost see her demise, and she couldn’t help but crave it the closer it gets.

‘Endure it,’ she told herself, ‘Just a little more.

It will all be over soon.

Lisa braced herself, and finally stood, but Countess Jisoo tried to intercept her.

“Princess, I beg you to reconsider.” Jisoo pleads with her, but they were interrupted when someone was already waiting for them outside of the resting room as soon as they stepped out.

It was a messenger, a military aid of Byun Gyongbaek.

“Byung Gyongbaek of Oberde wishes to see Princess Lisa. If she could just follow me?” He informed them both, and Jisoo looked at her worriedly. Lisa comforted with her eyes and her nimble smile before nodding to the man, who swiftly left, and she followed soon after without any word.

Lisa trailed after him, and found herself standing in a garden, located far away from the banquet hall. It was originally a popular place, decorated with a small outdoor iron table, carved and molded with intricate designs, with matching chairs. Currently, it was empty, save for her fiancé, who must’ve warded off any people that had dared to come visit the garden and drank his favored dark red liquid.

There was one other glass of wine on the table, as if he was anticipating she would seek him out after the dance. The man, who fetched her, gestured for her to proceed, and when she walked past him, he left them alone for their privacy.

“Byun Gyongbaek-” she began, but he cut her off immediately when he placed his empty wine glass on the table with a clink.

When he was certain they were alone, his pleasant demeanor immediately vanished.

“How could you humiliate me? I’m your betrothed!” he spit at her and Lisa fought herself not to flinch.

He reeked of alcohol as he glared hatefully at her. His eyes daze, and his actions sluggish. He was breathing harshly, as Lisa stood frozen. After a few moments, he finally sighed and refilled his glass, picked it up and offered it to her, gesturing to the other glass. “Won’t you drink with me, princess?”

Lisa looked at the filled cup, and did as she’s told, bringing the cup to her lips and finally taking a sip of the swirling wine as red as blood… She might’ve not wanted to, but it was a small price to pay for what she’d done in the banquet hall.

As she drank the wine, Byun Gyongbaek watched her carefully, drinking his own wine as they both finished their drinks in silence. When she was finally done, Lisa placed the glass back down on the table, until a strange feeling overcame her. She frowned in confusion as she stared at the glass…

So clean and polished…

As if no one had even drunk from it.

The strange feeling welled up inside her as alarm bells rang in the back of her mind. Something wasn’t right. Something was wrong…

I…” she spoke blinking back the strange feeling, “I need to go now…”

Was she swaying? It feels like she’s swaying…

“There’s something…”

“No.” Byun Gyongbaek interrupted her, moving closer to her, touching her cheek. “Stay,” he commanded her, as Lisa hazily looked up at him, “Stay with me.” he crouched down, and gives her a manic grin, “Just until the drug wears off.”

And cold dread settled in the pit of her stomach.