"Baby," He whispers, tucking a loose strand of hair behind my ear. "They discovered you have diabetes."

I grimace in confusion. "What do you mean?"

"Well, maybe we should wait for the doctor to come and explain it to you better, but from what I gathered, it's Type 2." He states and I blink in something like indifference.

I'm not sure what to answer to that.

He's quick to fill the silence. "I already did a bit of research, and found that there are tons of advanced dieticians who would be happy to give you advice on how to make it better, you know."

I open my mouth to speak, but I'm not sure if I should even say anything.

When Harry takes note of my lack of shock, his eyebrows furrow in skepticism. The more time goes on with me searching for the right words, the more disbelief takes over him.

"Amber." His tone gets colder as he leans back in his chair, which distances him from me in a way. "Don't tell me you knew already."

I blink once again, not sure what kind of response he wants from me.

"N-No, I just—" I try to steer in the clear, but the heart monitor gives me away.

"Don't lie to me." He shakes his head in denial. When he realizes I'm not fighting back, he covers his face with his palms.

"You knew..." He quickly rises from his chair, pointing a finger at me. "And you just let me spoil you with sugar every day?"

He turns his back to me while his hands get lost in his hair, his fingers pulling at the roots.

"Harry, I just..." I start but have no idea what to say in this situation.

"Amber." He takes in a deep breath. "Every pack of sour worms you let me buy or every plate of pancakes I made, you knew they were killing you in a way." He paces the room as he lists all the seemingly wrong things I've done.

"Harry." I soften my tone, sitting up as well as I can with the wires restricting me a little. A huge stab of pain overtakes my head immediately. "Well, don't you think it's my choice whether or not I consume it?"

He stops his paces for a moment. He looks at me intently before dropping his hands to his sides in defeat. "But why?" His tone lowers but his brows furrow. "There are hundreds of sugar alternatives in this world, yet you choose to consume the most dangerous one for you."

I'm a little quiet for a moment. My head pounds with something like a hangover and frustration. "Listen. Why don't we talk about this later, okay?" I rub my temples, trying to ease the ache.

He lets out a defeated sigh, timidly shaking his head. It takes a couple of seconds for him to compose his emotions, so he draws his fingers through his hair multiple times.

"Sure. Sure." He continues to move his head in a disapproving manner. He quickly looks at me, blinks, and his cheeks gain a pink tint. "I'll go get the doctor, and tell them you're awake now."

He finally stops his ridiculing head movements and turns around to head straight for the huge white exit.

Within seconds, he's gone out the door without uttering a single word.

Fuck this shit.

~~~

When Harry went to call the doctor, I assumed he would get back right after.

He didn't.

I can't recall the exact moment I realized he wasn't planning on coming back to my room, but I guess it must've been somewhere between the moment I had an unpleasant hospital lunch and when the doctor told me I was free to go home after he'd made every test necessary, and signed me up to a couple of appointments next week.