16. the goodbye kiss

Gwen was in her room, brushing her hair and talking about her day in the market.

"Did you go to the butcher?"

"Of course, Miss. Why do you ask?"

"Nothing," she said, biting her lips. She wanted to tell Gwen, but where should she start? The woman would only develop more dislike toward her aunts, and Geneva did not want that. Despite keeping her from her family, she still loved them.

"I met Mr. Priest earlier in the park," said Gwen.

Geneva snapped her head up to look at the woman. "Which Priest?"

"Webster Priest, Miss."

Her shoulders dropped. "Oh."

"And he asked me an odd question."

"And what question is that?"

"He—" Gwen paused and frowned. "Did you hear that?"

They listened. There it was again. "It's coming from the window," Gwen said, walking away.

Geneva stood from the dresser and followed, standing behind as the woman pushed the window open and looked down. Then to the side, and gasped. She immediately squeezed herself through the window to look, her eyes widening.

"Aunt Barbara!" she gasped in alarm.

Her aunt was poking out the window of the guest bedroom and was down straight at Damon, who was pressed against the wall. She turned at the sound of Geneva's voice and narrowed her eyes. "Geneva, is that you?"

"Yes!" Geneva said, signaling Damon to escape. "What are you doing?" she asked as Damon took careful sideway steps and then dashed out of sight.

"There was a noise at the window. I was passing by this room when I heard it. Did you also hear it?"

"Yes, but it must be just the wind."

Aunt Barbara looked around. "I'm sure that's not just the wind. It's too dark. I can't see a thing from up here."

Geneva and Gwen sighed in relief.

"Gwen and I will check," she said. "You go now and have your rest."

"I'll come down with you—"

"No!" she and Gwen cried in unison. Then Geneva hastily added, "It's too chilly outside. Please, we'll be quick. I'm sure it's nothing."

They waited with bated breaths as Barbara considered her plea. "Very well."

Then she was gone.

"Oh, God, I think I died," Gwen said, breathing out in relief as she clutched her chest.

Geneva, on the other hand, had already grabbed her coat. "Please watch their doors for me, Gwen. Or hide under the covers, pretend you're me sleeping."

"What?"

"I will not be long."

"But—"

She grinned at Gwen. "Goodbye," she whispered before she eagerly slipped out of the room.

***

Damon ran to the garden and listened to Geneva's conversation with her aunt, his heart beating hard against his chest. Brushing hair off his forehead, he slumped against the wall to catch his breath.

He waited, silently cursing Webster, until she finally emerged from the other side, running toward him in naught but her coat and slippers.

"What are you doing here?" she hissed. She sounded angry, but her lips were pursed as if she's hiding a smile.