Chapter 20: A Shadow In the Sunlight

━━━━━━━༺۵༻━━━━━━━

Was this the sky's anger pouring down on her?

"Hey! Stop there!" The cry of the man was ringing in the ears of the swindler who was running. Three men followed after her. Her breathing was quick and her legs grew weary. So I curses at the men for pursuing after her over a leftover bread that they had thrown away. 

Night had fallen, and she was on the move.

Amidst the busy street and bustling crowd, she glides over the roofs with not a creak to be heard. The wind kisses her cheeks and blows her silk white linen, her dark hair flowing. It was a bliss that she truly missed. That thought she will not dismiss.

She stops atop a rooftop, watching the girl come face to face with a wall.

The houses by her side were all closed doors, it was a dead end.

"She's over here," So I heard one of them yell as she turned to the source direction of the voice. Failing to see the shadow landing next to her.

Her heavy breathing gets muffled when a hand covers her mouth and she finds herself unable to pry it off. The night was already dark, but she was pulled into a darker space, hearing a door open. Her back stings from the impact of being slammed into the wall.

Her heart was beating fast and loud, both could hear it.

Na Ri watches as the figures outside leave before turning her attention to the swindler.

"If you scream, the men will know you are here."

At three seconds, she retracts her hand. So I takes a look at the assassin; half her face concealed with an article of clothing, her eyes only showing.

"W-What do you want from me?" So I stutters, her body shaking. The sight of her was enough to make her body tremble in fear. If that wasn't enough, it was the poisonous blade drawn at her neck.

"Name," Na Ri demands, "Tell me the name of the one who went around killing the people who knew you."

"Will you kill me after I tell you?"

"That is if I find your answer unsatisfactory,"

So I opens her mouth, "Yeom Soo."

As the last word left her mouth, Everything turned black and her body fell limp to the ground.

A red drips from the body

It hits the pool and causes a ripple.

"Where have you been?" Mu Deok asks her as she examines her clothes with wide eyes. "Have you gone mad, walking around with those clothes?"

Jang Uk faces Na Ra and eyes her.

She sighs. "Do not worry, you are the first person I crashed into. I am not that careless."

Jang UK swallows as he points out the blood on her shoulder. "What is that?"

"Pig's blood," She answers. "I did not harm anyone. I simply went to look into who had done the killings,"

"That would have been reassuring," Jang Uk says, "Had not for the thought that you do not consider other people as human."

Na Ra did not deny the statement, nor accept it, smiling instead. "Forget about me, what were the two of you talking about?"