Chapter 33

Dozens of eyes met hers. Flashing teeth and swaying limbs surrounded her, but Mary felt as alone as a man on a gallows. The humming turned rhythmic, not unlike the beat of thousands of moth's wings. Under it, a more solid tempo thrummed like a pulse. It's music became all-encompassing.

Where had Dri'den gone? She turned this way and that, no trace of auburn hair and rust-speckled skin in sight. How dare they leave her?

No. Mary wasn't going to panic; she had done this before. And she had done it alone. Having fled from both Jothiar and Yatati had taught her nothing if not how to adapt—how to blend into a world that was not her own. She had become human. She could become Raeri. Dri'den had said to stop thinking; Mary could do that, couldn't she?

. . . Easier said than done, but Mary took another gulp of wine and set her shoulders back. Until the eyes slid off her, she would simply pretend to not see them.

She watched the Raeri; how they moved. One spun in circles, mimicking that of leaves caught in a gust of wind. Vocals of someone unseen joined the music, and Mary shadowed those who made their way deeper into the throng. Elbows brushed by her sides and beads clinked near her ears. Mary imitated the footwork, feeling less and less a spectacle as she let herself join the current of bodies.

Noises of delight spread through the crowd, and the rhythm stuttered. Raeri parted from each other as much as the space allowed, their dancing becoming frenzied. Something caressed her leg, and Mary reflexively stomped. A vine wiggled, then slackened under her foot. But more came. Mary backpedaled, retreating from the tangle that threatened to trip her. She ran into someone. They hissed, shoving her away.

Through the mass of people, Mary couldn't see which way was out. All she could do was pick a direction and dodge. Living tripwires lashed out wildly, forcing her to leap higher and spin quicker than Mary had ever needed to. Fluttering skirts and ivory antlers blurred past. She skidded to a halt as a Raeri hurtled to the ground, so close she felt the breeze. A chorus of jeers followed them down.

Mary tore at a stray vine curling around her wrist and batted aside another reaching for her thigh. The Raeri were having fun.

Some of the attention the fallen Raeri had drawn migrated to Mary. She tried to leave, but one of the vines had stretched behind her ankle, causing her to stumble. Within the seconds she regained her balance, three more had attached themselves to her lower body, preventing any movement. Once stationary, they swarmed.

A vine swiped at her knees, and she nearly crumpled. More grew up her back, clutching Mary like they wanted to devour her. Another latched over her face, and her nails scored into its wood.

"Stop." Her command was uncompromising. The vines shuddered.

Mary pounced on the opportunity, kicking her way out. Scattered cheers and disappointed calls greeted her as she emerged, the plants seemingly hesitant to target her again. Her gaze darted between the spectators, several of whom were unbothered enough to have stopped dancing. The vines were slack at their feet.

The Raeri were controlling them.

A brave vine brushed at her fingertips, and Mary directed all her ire into the thought: get lost. And it did—or at least for several feet before shaking the order off and coming right back.

Mary broke away. Though still tedious, the dance became easier when she could cause the plants that came in contact with her to recoil.

Step by step, the crowd thinned and the music slowed. Mary panted, tension seeping away from her muscles as the last vines went slack. If one more glorified trip-rope came near her she was going to strangle Dri—