9 | Back To Reality

Aurora

I stepped inside the house, a smile on my face. I loved today so much hanging out with Julia and talking to her was the best. I could hear the TV playing, so I went inside the living room only to see the faces of my two younger twin brothers. An old movie from the 80's, Back To The Future, was playing from some old vhs tape on the television screen.

"Who was the guy in the red Mercedes?" Liam asked, suspicion clear in his voice.

"It was my friend Julia, and she's a girl, not a guy." I stated, while sitting on the couch with them. "What's mom doing by the way?"

"I think she's asleep because I saw her bedroom door was closed an hour ago, but I don't know, you can go check on her." Chris replied monotonely, his eyes glued to the screen.

"Thank you, lil bro." I chuckled, squeezing his cheek briefly, which in turn made him very annoyed.

"Goodnight guys . . . go to bed too as soon as your silly movie is over." I stated, while making my way upstairs to mom's bedroom.

I received a "No" from Liam and a "Whatever" from Chris. The answers made me physically roll my eyes. I probably have to make dinner and maybe even lunch tomorrow because mom is taking up so many shifts, and I'm almost one hundred per cent sure she won't be home to make food for all of us. A sad feeling erupts at the thought, but I tried to push it away with the euphoria and happiness I got from Julia. I opened her door a bit to peek inside her bedroom, her figure lay peacefully on the bed.

Dark circles under her eyes, prominent wrinkles in her forehead, and her work makeup still on. A sad frown tugged at my lips as I made my way to the in-room bathroom, I took out a few tissues from a packet on the counter, wet them and dabbed some makeup remover on the tissues. I went to her bedroom, drew a chair near her bed, sat down, and started to wipe the tissue across her face.

I slowly and calmly rubbed the black eyeliner off her eyelids, the red lipstick of her lips, and finally, the heavy foundation off her face. By the end, all of the tissues in my hand were bruised with various makeup mediums. Mom's eyes fluttered open just as I was almost done.

"Aurora," she reached her hand up to my hair to push it back. "What are you doing?"

"I wanted to say goodnight in case you were awake, but then you still had your makeup from work, so I sat here to wipe it for you." I said while melting into her loving touch.

"You didn't have to do that for me, baby."

"It's okay . . . I don't mind."

"How did I end up with the best daughter in the world?" she chuckled, giving me a peck on the cheek.

I chuckled back, a toothy grin appearing on my face for a few moments. We talked a bit before I said goodnight, shut off the lights in her bedroom and closed the door behind me. On the way to my bedroom, I watched and analysed the amount of framed pictures taken of my dad through out of his life.

One of him as a child in a cute dinosaur halloween costume, one of him as a teenager with natural curly hair like mine in a party clearly high as a kite, and others of him and mom in their honeymoon period. Smiling, laughing, putting their arms around each other, kissing - all of that lovey dovey newly wed couple stuff. They were so happy together. I want that one day. Maybe with Julia. I rolled my eyes at my own thoughts as a stupid smile tugged at my lips.

As I tossed and turned in bed, unable to get to sleep, my thoughts drifted to when I was in the car with Julia. When I told her about dad's car accident. It was a small moment but it meant everything to me because I haven't opened up to anyone like that ever since the move. Not even Marla who has been great in every way. I'm glad the first person was her. I don't think I would've told Julia about it if she wasn't trustworthy but she is. Julia keeps giving me these signals that indicate that she likes more than what a friend would but I don't know . . . maybe I'm just imagining it? I dreamt of a certain dreamy blue eyed girl that night.

-

short chapter i know but i just wanted to show more of Aurora's personal thoughts and life a bit more so yeah. let me know ur opinions so far abt the story so far, happy reading till then!