She thought she heard something along the lines of 'just a minute!' and being familiar with her husband's usual routine, she decided it was what she heard. A tall muscular hunk soon appeared from the top of the stairs clad in a denim jacket and trousers, a black body hug top and white sneakers. He looked like one of those models who just stepped out the pages of a fashion magazine when he finally arrived at the bottom of the stairs.

Carmen groaned aloud, "Let's hit the road people." To her husband, she added, "I don't know what you do baby but you take too long getting dressed."

He pulled her by the waist, leaning down to plant a kiss on her head. "I was trying to look perfect for you, sweetheart. Do I take your breath away now?"

She ducked her head shyly, muttering, "you know you always do." He inclined his head to properly hear her but she shoved him away, biting down on her bottom lip.

Placing a firm finger under her chin, he tugged her lip free from the captivity of her pearly whites. "We're running too late for that now."

A sudden gasp brought them out of their world prompting them to look at the bewildered teenagers who had their hands over their ears. Amused, Damian had to ask, "what's the problem, kids?"

Red-faced, they shook their heads and disappeared out the door. The adults watched amusedly at their funny actions, smiling knowingly at each other before stepping out as well. Right before he climbed down the porch, Damian activated the alarm system then shut the door.

°°°°°°°°°°

"Mom's been spending so much time with Lina these days and leaving me behind often." Dolores started to whine to her Father the moment he got behind the wheel. Carmen and Adelina had earlier chosen to drive together in one car to the carnival while they drove in another. To Dolores, nothing could be worse; that was until they both chose identical attires for the carnival.

She knew she was not putting on her big girl panties and sucking it up but she felt a tad bit neglected by her Mom since her best friend had been staying over for the short two weeks break. Adelina's parents were on a business/pleasure trip on a ship cruise for a deal they have been trying to seal on behalf of their company which resulted in them dropping their daughter off at the Huertas for the period they would be away. Not in a manner of neglect but because they were on official duties. They usually let their daughter accompany them as they traveled around the world for the fun of it. Of course, Adelina enjoyed the company of her parents who knew when to draw the line between work and family time.

"Dear Dolores, I think your friend is starting to miss her family already. The break would soon be over anyway." He spared her a look before focusing on the road before them.

She sighed long and hard. Just then, her mom's car came to be side by side with theirs. Her eyes twinkled with laughter as she saw Adelina sending her a silly look all the way from there.

"Race ya!" She shouted before Carmen picked up speed, leaving them behind.

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

"I'd like to pay with this black card, please."  She requested as she stood in line to pay for the bags of chocolate chips, sweets and extra goodies she had purchased for their time at the carnival. Her Mom's car had driven past them to secure seats for each of them at the carnival but not before warning each to get snacks. That was about twenty minutes ago, she thought, as she handed the black credit card to the cashier.

Dolores' Dad was in the car waiting for her to be done with her purchase so they could continue on her journey. She turned around to walk back to the car when she spotted commotion outside and people staring at a truck which had on it, a vehicle involved in a terrible accident. For a while she paused to also pay attention and couldn't help but be sorry for the victims.

Something caught her eyes the moment she made a move to continue back to the car. The vehicle's plate number although which seemed scorched by fire to some extent, closely resembled...

All alarms went haywire in her head and she dropped the bag she had in her hand in shock. An ambulance with a siren whirring drove past with speed. Her legs moved before her brain thought, running after the ambulance and screaming.

"Hey! Wait up!" She yelled furiously, still running after the moving vehicle. A lot of passersby and spectators thought the young girl had gone raving mad at first until they realized the reason for her sudden outburst. Someone grabbed her from behind, jerking her around to face them.

It was her Dad.

"Dolores, what's the problem with you?" Worry filled his eyes as he trained them on her face. Sorrow made her heart clench and her mouth dry as she sought words to explain that her Mom's car was involved with an accident. Suddenly, she felt cold wind caress her skin and she shuddered at the odd feeling.

With a parched throat from all the yelling she had done, she spoke, "it's Mom and Adelina. They were the ones in the ambulance." That was all it took to shake her Dad into her reality.

Present time...
She gave one last look at the names inscribed on both graves.

Carmen Huerta
Beloved wife, mother, daughter and friend
July 24, 1983-May 12, 2016
Rest in peace

Adelina Emiliano
Our lovely daughter and bestie
July 22, 2003- May 12, 2016
Forever alive in our hearts

Her eyes watered once more at the sudden painful realization that she would no longer be able to feel these people within reach. Her heart clenched painfully in her chest causing her to double over, wheezing. Alarmed, she put a hand to her chest which felt like her lungs were on fire and closing so tightly together she couldn't breathe.

"Dolores, baby, what's wrong with you? She's gasping for breath, Mateo. Get the car!" With a shuddering sigh, she gave in to the crooning of the darkness that surrounded her.

~~~{•}~~~

This is one genre I'm trying out despite my uncertainty but I'm sure I'd be able to pull through.
If you love this chapter, please don't forget to give it a 🌟
Thanks

~~Tequila~~