After what he did last night to Charlie, I wouldn't be surprised if he tried to kill Caspian too.

Caspian leans forward, his grip on my hand tightening as he softly kisses my cheek.

Blond strands brush against my cheek, his skin warm against my skin as he kisses me again, not pulling away.

I don't know what to do. I'm frozen in my spot.

"I cannot wait until we are married," he murmurs in my ear, drawing his hands to my waist. I rest my palms against my chest, ready to push him away if he gets too carried away.

His lips drift down to my neck, where he kisses softly, purposefully.

"Caspian...I'm kind of tired," I grit out uncomfortably, trying to resist the urge to push him off me violently.

He doesn't move, hands tightening their hood on my waist. "Come on."

"Seriously. I'm tired," I growl, trying to pull myself from his grasp, but he's stronger than I suspected. He's not letting me go, his teeth grazing my skin.

Panic sets in. This can't be happening.

Suddenly, he bites down on my skin enough for a jolt of pain to streak through me.

"Ow!" I snap. "Get off me!"

Yanking myself out of his grip in one swift movement, I rear back far enough to slap him across the face.

I'm surprised by the force I can manage. It's enough to cause his entire head to turn, and for the palm of my hand to sting.

For a long moment, there is just silence.

Caspian is stunned, drawing his hand up to his face, touching his cheek. All I can do is stare at him, knowing I may have just ruined our engagement for striking a future King in the face.

"Don't ever touch me again." My voice comes out strong, even if it trembles a little.

I don't wait for his response, charging past him and out of the room.

I rush back to my room, hand on my neck, still feeling the sting from the bite. I want out of here, away from him. What happened to the sweet, gentle man Caspian was? I can't tell if he's just inexperienced or if that was malicious...

Either way, I can't do this anymore.

There is no stopping my tears as I brush past my guard and into my room, only to see Ark sitting on the edge of my bed.

"Kiva...I've been waiting for you-"

He stops short, taking in my tearful state. Suddenly I feel stupid, embarrassed. I'm crying because I hate this life, my obligations and the choices I have to make. I need to get myself together.

"You're crying," he breathes, getting to his feet.

I let him approach me, wiping the tears from my cheeks. Of course he is here, even on his night off. He's always here when I need him.

"I'm just homesick," I exclaim dismissively. It will be easier to crawl into bed and pretend like this night didn't happen, especially considering Ark's potential reaction to the truth.

"Are you sure you're okay?" He grabs my wrists, pulling my hands off my face so he can examine it.

"I just need a moment," I tell him, offering up a weak smile. I'm too broken to talk about this in any depth, and although it isn't healthy to keep it to myself, I don't feel like self improvement right now.

Ark's dark, analytical gaze drifts from my face and down to my neck.

He frowns. "You have a smudge on your neck."