2

Kan has a bag slung over his shoulder, his rippling arm muscles standing out against the background. If back in their High School Kan was beginning to gain muscles, now he is jacked up.

"Hello?" He repeats awkwardly.

Thua clears his throat and says, "Hey..."

He really is here.

Thua's mind is blank.

"Nice to see you again?" Kan says and pulls on the strap of the bag again.

"Yeah." Thua gives a jerk of his head as a nod.

"How're you doing?"

"I am alright." Thua looks down at the journal in his hand, squeezes his eyes shut, and then looks up. "You?"

"I am okay too."

Thua doesn't know what to say further.

They keep catching each other's eyes and looking away despite being right in front of each other.

Kan then laughs. "I didn't think I could go back to being so awkward again."

Thua looks at him surprised. It is the closest to any kind of acknowledgment of their shared history.

Kan licks his lips in apparent nervousness and takes a step back. "Just saw you from there and thought would come to say hi. Anyway, will leave you to your novel."

"It's a journal."

He thinks Kan checks him out as his eyes scan him up and down and then he is turning around and leaving.

All those days and months Thua had been hoping, had been waiting to hear a word from Kan. To hear anything.

Now he is here and is leaving and Thua doesn't know how to stop him.

Thua has never known how to hold Kan back; to get him to stop and be next to him.

*

Bruce Wayne had started texting him one day and then kept going. He had seemed invested in Thua's well-being in a way Thua cannot recall even his parents being. He always asked 'how are you' 'was that ok' 'are you happy with that' or just asked him about his day. He was always excited to know about the most mundane things in Thua's day.

It had been too good to be true.

For a moment there Thua had forgotten that Bruce Wayne was only ever an alter ego in fiction. The other half of the person was just as true for their identity as Bruce Wayne and that they had to remain separated for a reason.

Almost from the beginning of their conversations, Thua had guessed it was Kan. Some of the things Bruce Wayne had known about him or his activities was too detailed to have been a coincidence.

Kan had never been a good liar.

Not when he had pretended to be angry at the kids making fun of them instead of the actual reason that bothered him.

Not when he had said he had slept the night (and not remembered their kiss.)

And, especially, not when he had said they were still good friends while not being able to look into Thua's eyes and accept they hadn't even been just friends in years.

*

Only two hours have passed. Thua is bored but his heart has been beating in its cage rapidly.

He has been texting Wat and Namo to update his position. The forecast is such that he may be able to leave by seven in the morning. His mother calls suddenly saying she's awake and has been unable to sleep worried for her son.