Chapter 13

I wonder what I can do to get rid of the Baron. My main objective should be figuring out how to survive in this world. But I've only ever dealt with problems by diligently ignoring them. And I'm not particularly good with goal setting.
Nothing like a little side quest to get one motivated right? Plus I'm not in the mood to see any of the other characters.

I look out the window of my study. A knock at the door draws my attention. A tall young man wearing a butler's uniform steps in. He meets my gaze and his face becomes a bright red.

"I'm terribly sorry please forgive my rudeness. I didn't mean to forget to ask for permission I'm so sorry"

His panic is understandable. It would be considered rude to enter a noble's study without permission. But I'm not big on conduct so I don't really care.

"It's alright did you need something"

"Um well it's just you went out this afternoon so I didn't have the chance to serve you some light meals. I've brought them for you"

He drags in a serving tray carrying a tea set and other finger dishes.

"I'm so sorry I didn't even think to ask if you still wanted these. I'm apologize for my impudence"

Goodness is everyone around here this uptight?!

"It's okay no need to fret about it. I'll be happy to have them"

He brings the tray over to me and starts pouring me a cup of tea. From time to time he occasionally glances at me and back to his task.

"I don't bite you know" I say flashing him a small smile.

"I'm sorry I didn't mean to...I was just"
His face is even redder than before

"It's alright so tell me what's your name"  I ask inquisitively

He looks taken aback for a brief moment but answers me.

"It's Javis my lady"

"Javis... Javis.... Javis. I like your name"

"Um.. Thank you my lady" He replies not really sure how to respond

His embarrassment is adorable.

"Please go and fetch Sonya for me"

He bows his head and exits the room. Am I really that scary?! I don't think so. Veronica is a beautiful woman but I don't think she came off as intimidating to anyone.
She just gave off a spoilt rich kid vibe. A person who solved half her problems by throwing money at them.  Now that I really think about Veronica's is actually the youngest character in the book when compared side by side with the other characters. She's only eighteen years old.  Charlotte was twenty one when Damien started taking interest in her. Damien was twenty four and Erick was twenty two. Just how old was Veronica when their engagement was announced. Jake and Keith are both twenty three. Alexander is the oldest male lead, he's twenty six.

"Excuse me my lady I've brought Sonya" A voice from behind the door calls out.

"Come in"

Sonya steps in and closes the door behind her.

"You called for me my lady" She bows her head. She's wearing a smile she's trying her best to hide.

"How's your brother doing" I ask trying to keep the worry in my voice hidden.

"I cannot thank you enough my lady for what you've done for me. I shall be eternally grateful" 

I'm just glad I could be off help. There was never any mention of another Baron apart from Jake in the novel so my interest is quite piqued at what actually happens outside of Charlotte's love story.