6

Apparently, Hinata couldn't remember how he did that quick attack, which made Noriko laugh under her breath. He really is crazy. Both of them are.

After a frustrating argument with Tsukishima (shocker), Kageyama ended up dragging Hinata off to the side with a determined look. Noriko smirked at the sight, there was no way they wouldn't win.

Unfortunately, Hinata couldn't seem to keep up with Kageyama's fast sets well enough to actually hit one. Come on, you're so close to something.

"Kageyama. You're repeating what you did in junior high. Oh, well..." Suga said.

"Hinata's got reflexes, speed, and an amazing vertical. If he can get used to quick plays..." Kageyama replied, pointing at the ginger.

"Don't you think your sets are hindering his ability? Hinata has neither volleyball skills nor experience. He's not like your talented junior high teammates. But he's got great potential." Damn, Suga would make an amazing teacher.

"Me? A prodigy? No way!" Hinata piped in, only for Tanaka to shut him down. "He didn't call you one."

"With your skills, can't you take his unique, uh talents and... well... uh... Can't you put them to good use? I'm a setter, too, so when I watched that match last year, I was intimidated. By your outstanding playmaking, ball control, and most of all... your vision and decision-making ability that let you see right through your opponent's defense. I don't have any of that." Suga started.

Tanaka started to protest, but Daichi stopped him. "Let's hear him out."

"You have the skills, the motivation to win, and above all, incredible vision. There's no way you can't see through your own teammates!" Suga finished.

Seeing Kageyama's confused expression, Noriko walked up to him and punched his shoulder lightly. "Hey, you're the setter. Not the control tower that decides what everyone else does in a one man show the way you want to be. A good setter pulls out his teammates' potential, and you're a damn good setter. Hinata's fast and athletic, but uncoordinated with no technique. So, what can you do to make the best of what Hinata can do?"

"I..." Kageyama trailed off, looking at Noriko as if for approval. She nodded, urging him to continue. He turned to Hinata, a fire blazing in his eyes. "I envy your athleticism."

"What?" Hinata looked as if the conversation made less sense to him than a foreign language.

"It pisses me off that you're letting it go to waste."

"Excuse me?"

Maybe not the best road to go down, Kageyama, but you do you. 

"So I'm gonna put all of your abilities to good use!"

It seemed no one knew what Kageyama was on about exactly, but Noriko figured her part was over and went back to stand with Kiyoko.

"Give me your top speed and your best jumps. And I'll send the ball your way." 

"Send it my way? What do you mean?" Hinata was becoming more and more lost.

"Just run as fast as you can to an area they're not marking, jump as high as you can, and swing your arm as hard as you can. No need to keep an eye on my sets. No need to care about what the ball's doing." Kageyama demanded.

Noriko eyed him curiously, getting a grasp on what he was suggesting. Very interesting. That would be almost impossible even for you to pull off, but good luck.

Kageyama's team continued planning, although Hinata was looking frazzled and Tanaka disbelieving, for a few minutes, until the game finally resumed.

The next time Kageyama sent a quick set to Hinata, he immediately smashed it down, landing in bounds.

"Whoo! Nice kill!" Noriko cheered. 

"Hey... Hinata had his eyes closed just now!" Daichi said with a somewhat horrified expression.

"What?!" Noriko and all the team members whirled around in shock. 

"He kept his eyes closed from the moment he jumped to the moment he hit the ball. That means Kageyama made a pinpoint set into Hinata's palm when he wasn't even looking at the ball! And he delivered it with perfect accuracy at the exact moment Hinata swung his arm."

Noriko's jaw dropped. Wow, he really is a genius. I'm almost jealous. Noriko looked over at Kageyama, dripping in sweat and a proud smirk on his face. Noriko's cheeks heated up at the expression on his face and she looked away quickly.

After a brief break where everyone was trying to figure out how that had happened, Kageyama turned to Hinata. "There's absolutely no camaraderie between us, but know that I'll keep sending the ball your way. Trust me and jump."

Why is this guy so good at motivational talks? He always makes it seem like he can do anything. Noriko's thoughts returned to the previous morning's conversation and she immediately shook it out of her head. No need to get distracted now.

The next few tries at the crazy quick set failed, but Kageyama's face looked happier than she'd seen it in at least a year.

Finally, Kageyama had mastered it. Noriko still couldn't believe it was possible, but the first year duo had, in one game, mastered their super crazy quick.

From then on, it was clear Tsukishima's team would lose, and by the growing frown on the blond's face, he knew it too, although Noriko was glad to say he was finally getting engaged in the game rather than just the trash talk.

Hinata succeeded every time, until Tsukishima came to block him, but then Kageyama just set to Tanaka who scored a point. Tanaka definitely has ace potential.

At the end of the two sets, both of which were won by the crazy duo + Tanaka, Hinata was splayed out on the ground in exhaustion and Kageyama was kneeling nearby, both completely burnt out. Grinning to herself, Noriko filled both their water bottles and approached the two boys.

"Good job! I knew you could do it. Can't say you didn't surprise me with that crazy quick though." Noriko congratulated while handing Hinata his water bottle. Kageyama eyed the boy suspiciously until Noriko handed him his own water bottle.

"Thanks."

After barely being able to finish one sip of his water, Kageyama was being dragged by Hinata to the other first year boys.

"Hey!" 

"Come on, we have to shake hands!"

Noriko giggled under her breath, watching Hinata basically attack Tsukishima trying to get him to shake his hand, much to the blond boy's disgust. 

As much as she wanted to watch the entertaining display, Noriko had to return to her manager duties, so she turned away from the scene, instead helping Kiyoko grab their new uniforms from the club room, including her very own Karasuno VBC track suit.

Hinata cheered upon seeing his new uniform, and Noriko felt almost as happy as he was, finally feeling like she was part of a team again and hadn't lost volleyball as completely as before. Noriko looked over at Kageyama who, though he was trying to hide it, was geeking out just as much as Hinata. This is enough for me. Even if I'm not the one playing, I feel just as important as I used to be.