[ 01 ] brother's best friend

CHAPTER ONEbrother's best friend

CHAPTER ONE
brother's best friend

*•°

NADINE FROBISHER MIGHT AS WELL JUST VOMIT ON BELLAMY BLAKE FOR WHAT HE'S DONE. The second the dropship collides with solid ground, the impact forces a close-mouthed gag up her throat. Thankfully, she doesn't yack up her breakfast in front of an army of teenagers.

"You good, Nadine?" Blake asks her.

"You can ask me that after radiation starts to eat me alive," the girl replies, grumbling over the chatter of the delinquents. Their anticipation grows, worry even more so, yet there is a certain tang of excitement in the air that Nadine just doesn't get.

The man in the guard uniform rolls his eyes, hastily undoing his safety belt and also unclipping her's with an arm snaking over her waist, "You're not gonna let this go, are you?"

"Well, you hijacked a dropship and basically kidnapped a bunch of kids, and dragged me along with you, so yes, I will not," Nadine brushes off his arm and stretches her back.

"Keep it down," Bellamy hisses in a warning, scanning the crowd for any sign of a stray eavesdropper, "For our own sake, I'm a guard and you're a— you're a—"

"Social worker?"

Blake narrows his eyes.

"What? God knows these kids need one. A bunch of criminals, remember? Thieves with mommy issues and underage murderers, how do you think one man in a guard uniform and some random engineer will keep about a hundred problematic children in check?"

"You're a criminal, too," orders Bellamy.

"Oh, so you get to be the savior and I'm roleplaying a delinquent, got it. Need I remind you, I don't even have a wristband and all of them seem to have one!" Nadine fights to keep the volume of her voice just below a whisper.

The man watches as the teenagers on the first floor begin crowding around the exit of the ship, casting one last glance towards his best friend, "No, you get to be the inside man. You keep me informed, I keep them in check. Just don't let anyone see your arm."

Before Nadine can protest, he walks off and pushes through the crowd to get to the hatch the second he sees a crowd forming around the doors. I guess his plan begins now, Nadine thinks, and since she can't protest, she has no choice but to go along with it.

She slides the sleeve of her shirt lower over her bare wrist and clears her throat, following him.

"Just back it up, guys!" Bellamy holds an arm out towards the group of teenagers that slowly circles in on the exit, keeping them away. First step to show authority — become the one to lead them into their new life. That's some iron leverage Nadine could only dream of having over someone.