Chapter 16

It took nearly a month for me to fully recover from my mini sleep-like state and from the bullet wound. I insisted to leave after two weeks, however Louis wanted me to stay more. The nurses agreed that I would be doing no better there then out in the castle. 

I wonder the building, trying to find something to do. I had been strictly forbidden from helping out around the castle, even though I was now nearing a month after the incident. I would try to sneak around in the kitchen to help, but somehow Louis always ended up finding out about it. 

"Harry?" I turn and see a woman wearing a modest-looking, purple dress. Her hair was pulled out of her face, but hung down her back elegantly. Her features were familiar, from where I had no clue. I had probably seen her around the castle at some point, I'm guessing. 

"Hello," I say, extending a hand to shake. She ignores my hand, instead pulling me in for a hug. I had no idea who this woman was, but she knew me. I wasn't exactly used to being known, as I kept to myself when I lived in the town, but now that my sister was the queen it seemed that everyone knew me. 

She pulls back and looks me over, her hand still resting on my arms. I scanned her face, praying that I remember where I knew her from before she started a conversation. "I'm Johannah," She says, as if that would help me. "Louis's mum," She finishes. This was Louis' mother?

"Oh! I'm sorry, nice to meet you My Lady." I step back and bow to her, but she waves me off. I had no idea what I was supposed to be doing. This was the ex-queen of my country, I'm sure I was supposed to be doing something. 

"Oh heavens, don't start that nonsense! We're family now, darling!" I feel myself starting to blush. I had no clue what to do or say around her. Did she expect for me to be professional or casual? 

"So what are you doing wondering around the halls on a day like this? A handsome lad like you shouldn't stay locked in the castle," She asks. I roll my eyes, remembering Louis' rule about leaving the castle. I would have to talk to him next time I saw him. 

"I would, but your son has forbidden me from leaving because of my old bullet wound," I reply. She furrows her eyebrows for a moment and shakes her head. 

"Nonsense! You are free to leave whenever you please and if Louis tries to say something about it, tell him his mother allowed you," She says, "Speaking of leaving the castle, have you seen our castle grounds?" She asks.

"Yes ma'am, it's gorgeous," I answer. We stand in silence for a while, neither of us knowing what to say. Finally, she shakes her head as if she scared herself. 

"How rude of me! Would you like to sit and talk over some tea?" She asks. I nod. I hadn't had any good tea since my mother passed. Gemma and I both knew how to make it, but neither of us were as good as our mother. 

"Come, come!" I follow her down the hall and into a small room. The walls were a lovely red velvet and the floor wooden. Two love seats and a few chair sat around a small wooden table with a vase of flowers. 

"Sit down, someone should be coming with the tea," Johannah tells me. I take a seat across from her, on the love seat. 

"So, how are you liking it in the palace?" She asks, as a woman comes in setting a tea platter on the table. 

"It's nice, defiantly better than my old place," I chuckle. She nods as she silently thanks the woman. The maid, I assumed, nodded and left a moment later. 

"What were your old living arrangements?" She asks, as she pours the tea into two cups and hands one over to me. I take the cup from her and place it in front of me, waiting for it to cool a little before drinking it. 

"I lived with my stepmother, two stepbrothers, and Gemma in an old 3 bedroom house," I answer nervously. I wasn't sure how she would respond to that. She must know about my stepmother and stepbrothers being here. 

"That must have been a tight squeeze than," She laughs. I imagine the attic space I was given and nod.

"I'm really happy for Gemma and Louis. He has been so unhappy for the last couple years and you just won't believe how happy he was when she moved in!" Jay exclaims as I hold back a scold. 

"Oh really? I would have never guessed," I say my tone sounding a a little too sarcastic. I follow it with a smile, to try and cover the edge to my voice. 

"He was over the moon excited, but I think he's happy you came too. He never really had friends when he was younger, so to finally have one, it means a lot," She tells me. I was surprised that Louis had no friends other before me. He seemed like a guy that got on with people easily. 

"Well, I'm happy I'm here as well," I reply, smiling. I lift the tea and sip from it, the warm liquid hitting the back of my neck. It wasn't as good as my mothers, but it was the best I've had since. 

"I heard about your accident," Johannah starts. 

"You did?" 

"Louis was devastated, he stayed by your bedside the whole time. He even slept there a few nights I do recall," She says. He had? A warmth erupts in my stomach at the thought of Louis not wanting to leave my side. 

"Well, he has no reason to worry because I'm all better now," I tell her.

"That's marvelous, we were all praying for your speedy recovery," She replies. Neither of us speak as she sips from her cup. A moment passes and Johannah speaks up again.

"So, Harry, tell me about you and my son's relationship," She says. My stomach drops at her wording. Relationship. Why had she picked that word? Did she know what Louis and I really are? No, that was nearly impossible. 

"We're both happy to have each other and we're getting along great," I explain. I avoid the matter of what kind of relationship we were in, but one could only assume. 

"That's grand! I can tell that you two like each other a lot. The way you two look at one another is adorable!" She exclaims. So she knew. I wasn't sure if I felt more worrisome or relieved.

"Ma'am, what are you implying?" I ask. She gives me a confused look, as if I knew what she was talking about the whole time. 

"Well, aren't you and my son together?" 

"How did you know?" I ask. She gives me a knowing grin and she stands, making her way towards the door.

"A mother always knows," She answers. She shakes her head and smiles again before leaving.