Chapter 5-5: Joining Class A

Start from the beginning

"Truly skilled and dangerous people have a thorough understanding of this, and have the ability to hide their true power behind an exterior of harmlessness. Underestimating anyone right from the start could be a grave mistake," Ryuzaki finished.

My pride wanted me to refute his point, but I found myself unable to come up with any kind of compelling argument. Instead, I just stayed quiet.

At that moment, the classroom door swung open, and a large, well-built man strode in. This was Mashima-sensei, Class A's homeroom teacher.

Mashima-sensei stood at the teacher's podium silently, and the chatter in the classroom gradually died down.

"Today, it has been decided by the school that the homeroom periods of all classes will be left as free as possible. Following the assignment of Class B's students to the first year, you are advised to use this time to discuss and strategize your ideas regarding the upcoming sports festival," he addressed the room in a loud yet reserved tone.

With those words, everyone in the room seemed to glance at one of two people: Katsuragi Kohei or Sakayanagi Arisu.

Despite the numerous losses incurred under his leadership, Katsuragi seems to still hold a decent level of support within the class. However, it's also true that more people are leaning towards Sakayanagi's faction than Katsuragi's.

Once again, due to the outstanding circumstances, Sakayanagi will have no choice but to let Katsuragi take the reins for the sports festival once again. If he fails here, it could very well result in the complete collapse of the Katsuragi faction.

"Also, starting from today, you will be assigned new timetables containing more physical education classes than usual, in preparation for the sports festival," Mashima-sensei continued, pulling out a stack of papers as he spoke. "Please take one and pass them back."

The timetables made their way toward the back of the room, while Mashima-sensei came over and handed me and Ryuzaki one each himself.

He hasn't made a big deal out of my or Ryuzaki's addition to the class. In fact, he's barely acknowledged it. This must be deliberate by the school, intending to let the shift in class dynamics play out as naturally as possible.

I averted my eyes down to the timetable in front of me. These would be my classes for the next four weeks, all of which as a member of this class here.

Just like Mashima-sensei said, there were a noticeable increase in the number of athletics classes. It was not only P.E, but swimming too, that had seen a boost in frequency in this new timetable.

There isn't any swimming-related events in the sports festival, however, swimming as a sport is very effective as an exercise targeting a number of muscle groups in the body. Namely, the abs, shoulders and back are all worked out no matter which stroke you do.

"I will now you leave you to do as you wish for the remainder of the homeroom period. Again, I advise you to take into careful consideration how to use this time."

Leaving us with parting words of advice, which were likely rehearsed and repeated by all homeroom teachers, Mashima-sensei left the room as quickly as he'd entered.

As soon as he'd done so, Katsuragi stood up.

"If it is okay with you all, I would like to lead the physical training of Class A for the next month, and the sports festival itself," he said.

Various reactions echoed around the room.

"Yeah! Of course Katsuragi is the man for the job!"

A boy, who seemed to quite clearly align with the Katsuragi faction, started a chorus of vocal support for his leadership.