004. juliet

CHARLOTTE DIDN'T BOTHER knocking when she entered her parents' office, making more noise than a bull in a China shop

"Mom, Dad." She panted.

"I'm assuming the proposal went well well?" Said Belle, a matching smile on her and her husband's faces.

"I'm not marrying him." She declared voice as stern as ever.

"Why not, honey?" Asked her father in surprise, he and her mother beggining to rise from their seats.

"Sit back down!" She ordered, both of them doing as she said in fear of her new-found confidence. "That's not what I need to speak to you about."

She took the seat on the opposite side of the desk so she was facing them. She pulled the letter from her biological parents out of her pocket and slammed it on the table.

Her mother looked at it curiously. "What's this?"

"You'll see." She shrugged mysteriously.

When they realized what the letter, their jaws dropped in disbelief. They both looked at each other, the same sickly feeling brewing in their stomachs.

"H-How? Why?" Belle stuttered.

"I want to know who my birth parents are." She told them matter-of-factly.

"Charlotte—" Began Adam, a panicked expression etched on his face.

"That's not my name though, is it?" Charlotte yelled in anger, hands slamming on the table as she rose from her seat.

"We took you in, so I think we get to decide that." Shouted Adam, copying her actions.

"Well that doesn't mean you can erase parts of my past!" She screamed, red swirling around her fingertips.

Her parents let out screams, running up against the wall in fear.

"I'm a monster..." She looked down at her hands and let out a gasp. The tears began to fall as she slowly stumbled backwards out of the door.

"Charlotte, honey—" Adam said softly, a few tears rolling down his and his wife's cheeks.

"It's Juliet!" She manged to choke out, running as fast as she could away from them, ignoring their cries for her to come back.