Breathing Fire

Stiles is given his spirit dragon on his 5th birthday, and he names her Xia. She's blue, silver and has a few orange scales that only show from certain angles. Xia grows as Stiles does and follows him everywhere. She does not grow too much though. Just enough to drape around the back of his neck like a scarf. They communicate telepathically and Stiles looks forward to the day he finds his Scale-Mate. His other half and by extension, Xia's other half.

Derek is given his spirit dragon on his 5th birthday, and he names him Zenith. He's green, gold and has a few blue scales only visible from certain angles. Zenith grows as Derek does and follows him everywhere. He does not grow too much though. Just enough to drape around the back of his neck like a scarf. They communicate telepathically and Derek looks forward to the day he finds his Scale-Mate. His other half and by extension, Zenith's other half.

Derek and Stiles meet at a Fire Festival at the ages of 20 & 19 respectively. They're dressed to match their dragons.

Stiles wears black pants, a white button up top with the sleeves unbuttoned and rolled up, black converse with silver laces, and a blue and silver hooded cloak with a silver clasp. His hair is adorned with orange glitter perfectly blended, giving his chestnut brown hair an almost reddish tint. Silver and blue glitter adorns his cheeks and Xia sits on his shoulder.

Derek wears black pants, a gray button up top with the sleeves unbuttoned and rolled up, black boots with gold laces, and a green and gold hooded cloak with a golden clasp. His hair is adorned with blue glitter. Gold and green glitter adorns his cheeks and Zenith perches on his shoulder.

As they mingle with others, they allow their dragons to tell them what they feel but so far no one stands out to Xia or Zenith. So, Stiles and Derek just relax and enjoy the lively music and conversation.

It's at the fire pit that they meet. Stiles is seated on a log with Xia curled up in his lap. Derek makes his way over. "Hello."

Stiles looks up and his breath hitches. "Hi."

Derek smiles and gestures. "May I sit?"

Stiles nods and Derek takes a seat offering his hand. "I'm Derek."

Stiles shakes Derek's hand. "Stiles."

"Nice to meet you."

"You too."

Zenith makes his way to Derek's lap and peeks over at Xia. "Zdraveĭ kolega dukhoven drakon."

Xia's head perks up lazily. "Zdraveĭte. Ima li prichina da smushtavash sŭnya mi?"

Zenith snorts and pointedly looks at their humans.

Xia looks up, taking in the smile on her human's face, the light flush to his cheeks and the sparkle in his eyes. "O, boginyata."

Zenith smirks.

Stiles glances at the fire as it periodically changes colors. "Is this your first festival?" he asks, glancing back at Derek.

"Yes. Is it your first?" Stiles nods and Derek smiles. "Have you found your..."

Stiles shakes his head. "No. I mean I didn't expect to if I'm being honest. That would be pretty crazy to have met them at my first festival."

"Perhaps but it would be amazing as well."

Zenith and Xia exchange a look.

Derek and Stiles jump slightly startled when their left wrists begin to tingle and then burn. Stiles's eyes widen almost mirroring Derek's shocked face. When the burning subsides, they look at their wrists. Derek's left wrist now bears a silver and blue woven band with orange gems. Stiles's left wrist now bears a gold and green woven band with blue gems.

"Xia?"

Xia smiles and nuzzles her head against the mark before breathing fire over it to approve and seal it.

Stiles looks over at Derek who looks down. "Zenith?"

Zenith smiles and nuzzles his head against the mark before breathing fire over it to approve and seal it.

Then once that's complete, they switch places, shrink and slip into their human's Scale-Mate's shirt. Xia fades into a tattoo on Derek's left pec over his heart and Zenith fades into a tattoo on Stiles's left pec over his heart. Stiles's eyes glow gold and Derek's glow silver before settling back to liquid gold and technicolor again.

"Holy shit," Stiles whispers and then chuckles before looking at Derek who is watching him with an awed and soft smile.

Derek reaches out telegraphing his movements and Stiles easily leans into the hand being placed on his cheek. He turns his head and kisses Derek's palm. Derek takes advantage of Stiles's turned head to nose at his jaw and places a soft kiss on his temple.

The warmth of the fire is nothing compared to the warmth of finding their other half. What a story to tell their kids one day. How daddy and papa met their Scale-Mate at the Fire Festival.

Three Years Post Fire Festival:

Stiles and Derek get married under the light of the moon with small fires spanning the area each matching the colors of their dragons who have emerged from their skin to celebrate. It is the dragons, Zenith and Xia who crafted the rings after all.

The happy couple shares their first ceremonial dance amidst the flames and consummate their mating in a small cabin with their dragons standing guard.

🐉

Four Years Post Fire Festival:

Stiles and Derek buy their first home together. Derek works as a second-grade teacher and Stiles works as a pediatric nurse.

🐉

Five Years Post Fire Festival:

Twins, Kaliyah Ember and Kai Blaze, a girl and a boy, are born to Derek and Stiles Stilinski-Hale at midnight on July 4th.

🐉

Seven Years Post Fire Festival:

Ryu Keegan, a boy, is born to Derek and Stiles Stilinski-Hale at midnight on July 5th.

🐉

Ten Years Post Fire Festival:

The twins Kaliyah "Kali" and Kai receive their spirit dragons. They're twins like them but two girls. Kali names hers Hestia (Greek Goddess of the Hearth and Home) and Kai names his Solveig (Daughter of the Sun).

Saphira Adeen is born to Derek and Stiles Stilinski-Hale at midnight on July 6th.

🐉

Twelve Years Post Fire Festival:

Ryu receives his spirit dragon, a girl and names her Idalia (Behold the Sun).

🐉

Fifteen Years Post Fire Festival:

Saphira receives her spirit dragon and names him Ignatius (Fiery One).